How to remove Apiprxy.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Apiprxy.com, or Apiprxy for short, is a website that uses numerous browser extensions to hijack internet browser settings and cause unwanted browser redirections. When a cooperating browser extension is installed existing internet browser settings such as the startup page, new tab page, and the default search engine will be replaced with Apiprxy.com. The change of settings will cause searches performed in the address bar and Omnibox to redirect to Apiprxy.com and then to another site such as bing.com or search.yahoo.com.
Apiprxy.com acts as an interceptor between what is being searched and the search engine showing the results. For example, a search will first be filtered and intercepted by Apiprxy.com and then quickly forwarded to a proper search engine like bing.com. The interception is done to track what users search for online and install small data packets on the user’s devices used for tracking purposes.
Data collection is rapidly becoming a lucrative business as personal user data is becoming more and more valuable to online entities. Personal data is collected and sold and/or shared with unknown parties for unknown reasons which could have unlawful results. If your personal data gets in the wrong hands you can fall victim to identity theft, cyber-attacks, and become the target of numerous scams. The easiest solution to stop your data from being obtained by malicious and unethical third-parties is to use a VPN such as NordVPN to put a wall between you and anyone trying to eavesdrop or intercept your data.
How did Apiprxy.com infect my computer?
Browser add-ons and extensions used to modify browser settings can usually be downloaded from the developer’s website or the browser’s web store such as Google Chrome’s Chrome Web Store. However, this is rarely the case when it comes to browser extensions associated with Apiprxy.com.
Add-ons and extensions associated with Apiprxy.com are known to be advertised by malicious advertising networks across many websites that also show advertisements for malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) which could mean that a computer and internet browser infected with the Apiprxy.com hijacker could also be infected with other malicious threats.
The Apiprxy.com hijacker may also bundle with or be installed by third-party programs including malicious download managers and free programs. When installing free programs, the browser extension may be offered as an Advanced or Custom installation and the user may be able to decline or accept an offer to install the program. It is important to be alert when installing anything from the internet to avoid accidentally installing something harmful.
How to remove Apiprxy.com
Most browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing the browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove the Apiprxy.com virus and malware from any computer.
How to remove malicious browser extensions
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.