How to remove Maps-2Go (Virus Removal Guide)
Maps-2Go is a potentially malicious browser extension in that collects user data and changes existing internet browser settings including the startup page, new tab page, and search engine. The change of settings causes compatible web browsers such as Chrome to redirect to a new website when a browser window is launched, a new tab is opened, or a search is performed in the address bar.
Maps-2Go is another run of the mill map extension that claims to allow users to get directions from anywhere. It is similar to other potentially map extensions including EasyWayPro.
The Maps-2Go extension for Google Chrome has permission to replace the page you see when opening a new tab and read your browsing history allowing it to collect and share user data with unknown parties for unknown purposes. Furthermore, the extension can collect browser history and collect user data in incognito mode.
Here are some common symptoms that may occur when the Maps-2Go extension is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Pop-up notifications
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search engine
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Other suspicious browser extensions installed
- Other suspicious software installed
- Slower browser performance
- Slow and sluggish PC
The Maps-2Go extension employs unethical, deceptive, and aggressive marketing practices which includes using malicious advertising networks to advertise itself. Webpages and advertisements promoting the extension will attempt to force users to install the extension and other programs.
The use of malicious advertising networks by the extension also means that it may bundle with or be advertised alongside third-party malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and other threats. Third-party threats provide even greater security and privacy risks. It is recommended to scan your computer immediately to remove such threats.
How to remove Maps-2Go
Like most browser extensions, the Maps-2Go browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing the browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove Maps-2Go and malware from any computer.
How to remove the Maps-2Go extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.