What is Alpha Shoppers?
Alpha Shoppers is a browser extension with a description that says “Make your home page much Faster and slicker with our all in one tab for all your shopping needs.” Once the Alpha Shoppers extension is installed it will change your existing internet browser settings such as your homepage, new tab page, and search engine. In turn, your browser will start on alphashoppers.co and the searches you perform in the address bar to redirect to alphashoppers.co/ext/index.html and then to search.yahoo.com or us.yahoo.com.
The Alpha Shoppers extension will also replace your homepage and new tab page with its own. When you launch a new browser window or tab you will be redirected to alphashoppers.co.
The Alpha Shoppers extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit, replace the page you see when opening a new tab, and read and change your browsing history.
One of the biggest concerns with the extension is that it is typically advertised by questionable advertising networks on websites that also promote malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats. This means that if you found the Alpha Shoppers extension attached to your internet browser without your consent or have been attacked by Alpha Shoppers advertisements it is likely that your computer is infected with other malicious programs that should be removed immediately.
How was Alpha Shoppers installed?
The Alpha Shoppers extension uses aggressive and unethical full-page advertisements that lock your screen and force you to install the extension to close the window.
It is usually promoted on various websites that are not allowed to show Google AdSense advertisements due to their prohibited content. Websites that contain streaming videos, torrents, pornography, and live streams often utilize malicious advertising networks in order to generate revenue.
The extension also has the possibility to be installed by a third-party without user consent or knowledge. If you recently downloaded and installed freeware or free content online the extension may have been installed in the background by a third-party program.
Alpha Shoppers removal steps
The Alpha Shoppers removal steps on this page will help you remove the Alpha Shoppers extension and stop browser redirects to alphashoppers.co.
1. Remove Alpha Shoppers extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Click the trashcan icon next to the Alpha Shoppers extension to remove it.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Click Remove next to the Alpha Shoppers add-on to remove it.
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Select the Alpha Shoppers add-on with your mouse and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Click the Uninstall button next to the Alpha Shoppers extension to remove it.
2. Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
3. Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
4. Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.