What is Power Speedup 2018 and how do I remove it?
Power Speedup 2018
Learn what Power Speedup 2018 is and how to remove it from your computer. Also, remove associated viruses and malware with free our instructions.
What is Power Speedup 2018?
Power Speedup 2018 is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and scareware similar to My Sys Mechanic that is advertised as a security and optimization program for the Windows Operating System. Power Speedup 2018 claims to scan your PC for adware, malware, security items, and other common items that tend to slow down the PC.
Although Power Speedup 2018 might seem like a helpful program, it is misleading and malicious. Power Speedup 2018 will scan your computer and show you specific results that it claims will make your PC unhealthy; However, Power Speedup 2018 will claim that safe programs will cause harm to your computer.
The Power Speedup 2018 scan results will claim to have found a very large amount of issues. It will claim that it is highly recommended to register Power Speedup 2018 to automatically repair all identified issues. In order to fix the issues you must pay for a subscription. Power Speedup 2018 will not fix the issues it finds unless you purcahse a key to register (activate) the program.
To make matters worse, Power Speedup 2018 is known to bundle with other unwanted programs, adware, spyware, and malware that can cause additional issues. Cooperating threats that the program bundles with can establish a connection to remote sites in order to track your data, display advertisements while you browse the web or on Windows desktop, and modify your browser and computer settings to show you sponsored search results.
Another concern with Power Speedup 2018 is that it is advertised on websites that usually display malicious advertisements and host malware. If you found Power Speedup 2018 installed on your computer or notice advertisements for the program while you browse the web it is likely that your computer was introduced to other threats such as SMPlayer. Other threats should be eliminated immediately before they put your personal information and computer functionality at risk.
How is Power Speedup 2018 distributed?
Power Speedup 2018 utilizes aggressive and deceptive marketing tactics in order to persuade you to install it. Advertisements that promote Power Speedup 2018 might claim that the program is necessary to trick you to download and install it.
If you come across an advertisements promoting Power Speedup 2018 you can chose to manually and voluntarily download and install Power Speedup 2018. If you download and install Power Speedup 2018 via an advertisement it can cause the program to bundle with other unknown programs.
Furthermore, if you download and install other freeware that is not Power Speedup 2018 you might be given the option to install Power Speedup 2018 during the setup process. Freeware download managers often offer Power Speedup 2018 as a custom or advanced installation option and give you a chance to accept or decline to install Power Speedup 2018 and other programs. If you do not opt out from installing the program it will begin to install in the background while you install said freeware. The way that the custom installation is presented can also be complex and arranged to trap you into installing programs you chose not to install. It’s advised to be alert when installing free programs from the internet and to keep an eye out for custom installation presentations to avoid any confusion and security risks from reaching your computer.
How to remove Power Speedup 2018
Scan your computer for malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
2. To install the program, click the file you just downloaded. It can usually be located in the Download folder.
3. A window that says “Welcome to the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard” will appear. Click Agree and Install to begin the installation. Once complete, click Finish.
4. Now the Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
5. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
6. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
7. Next, Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files.
8. Once installed, open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
9. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
10. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
11. Click the Reboot button.
Uninstall Power Speedup 2018 from your computer
1. On most versions of the Windows Operating System, right click the start menu (bottom left corner of the task bar) and go to Apps and Features.
2. Find Power Speedup 2018 in the list of installed programs, click it with your mouse, and click the Uninstall button that appears to uninstall Power Speedup 2018.
How to stay protected against future infections
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time potection features that can block malicious files before they get onto your computer. The two programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals in real-time; disallowing threats and hackers from getting onto your machine.
The guidelines listed below are a great way to help you maintain a safe environment and ensure that the files on your computer are intact.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- Avoid visiting fake “spyware removal” blogs and websites that promote “spyware removal software.” These are usually malicious websites designed to phish your personal information, infect your computer with a rogue program and trick you into paying for rogue “spyware removal software.”
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know