What is Novo Optimizer virus?
Novo Optimizer virus (or Novo Optimizer GPU Miner) is a Trojan horse (GPU Miner) that uses a computer’s GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) to mine digital currencies from victims. Novo Optimizer is normally installed alongside free programs that can be downloaded from the web including dubious codecs, updates, media players, and software updaters.
Once Novo Optimizer is installed and executed it will check to see if a compatible graphics card is installed on the infected computer. If a compatible graphics card is detected by the minter, it will connect to a remote digital currency pool to mine the specified coin.
Novo Optimizer’s processes will essentially overwork the computer’s graphics card and have it running for very long periods of time at high heat which can be catastrophic for a machine. This can cause a computer to crash, become slow and sluggish, and more. This will also cause the machine to become take a long time to open programs or switch between Windows.
Other symptoms include:
- Low frame rates for programs or programs do not start properly.
- Navigating through Windows takes longer than usual.
- Pop-up notification that say Novo Optimizer Initialized.
- novoone.exe, novoopt.exe, novoping.exe, npsvc.exe, or windriver.exe processes will run in Task Manager.
- Windows services named Novo Optimization Service, Novo Ping Service, or Windows Driver Service will run in windows Task Manager.
To make matters worse, trojans and currency miners like Novo Optimizer GPU Miner are usually bundled with or advertised alongside third-party malware, spyware, adware, and other malicious threats. This means if you found Novo Optimizer installed on your computer it is likely that there are other threats that should also be removed immediately.
Luckily, programs like Malwarebytes can detect and remove the threats installed by Novo Optimizer to keep your computer running and your privacy secure.
Follow the instructions below to completely remove Novo Optimizer, viruses, and malware from your computer.
1. Remove Novo Optimizer with Malwarebytes
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
2. Remove Novo Optimizer with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
3. Clean up and fix issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.