The Key Shift virus is a term utilized to identify a potentially unwanted program (PUP) in the adware section of computer issues that aids pop-up advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Key Shift is infamous for instigating new tasks that get set to run on Windows bootup.
What is Key Shift?
Publisher Description: N/A
- This program bundles with third-party malware, malicious files, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
- This program can interpret and revise all your data on the websites you visit.
- This program can view and modify your browsing history.
- This program can readjust your apps, extensions, and themes.
- This program can manage your downloads.
How does Key Shift get on a computer?
The Key Shift virus (although not technically a computer virus) is usually contracted without knowledge alongside free downloadable content, like freeware, shareware, torrents, etc. Most times, internet users are presented with an offer to accept or reject a unique offer to install this program and other items; However, the chance to decline the program from installing is often overlooked by the distributor and shown in a virulent way.
How to remove Key Shift
- Step 1: Remove Key Shift add-ons and extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall Key Shift
- Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Remove Key Shift add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Key Shift extension and other suspicious extensions. Remove them individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Key Shift add-on and other suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Key Shift add-on, click it, and click the Remove button. Remove other suspicious add-ons if found. If the Remove button does not appear you must first uninstall associated software through the Control Panel using the steps below.
Step 2: Uninstall Key Shift
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for Key Shift and other unwanted programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the unwanted program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
4. Restart your computer.
Step 3: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted programs using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.