If your internet browser starts up on the searchnewtab.com webpage and your browser redirects to searchnewtab.com when you open a new browser tab or search the web using the browser address bar you have contracted one of multiple potentially unwanted programs and browser attachments such as the Rapid Downloader extension for Google Chrome. Unwanted programs and browser extensions associated with this website can take over your homepage, default search engine, new tab settings, and collect browser information about you in order to cause your browser to redirect to searchnewtab.com and other webpages.
The method to remove the searchnewtab.com redirect and possible malware from your computer is essentially simple. You must remove the associated browser extension if they are present, uninstall any unwanted programs, and possibly manually change your settings; although removing the associated browser extension should disable the feature that causes browser redirects. It is also recommended to scan your computer for malware with a reputable tool to detect and remove any existing malicious files.
The image above shows the Rapid Downloader extension for Google Chrome. This extension has permissions set allowing it to change your search settings to searchnewtab.com. Furthermore, the extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit, manage your downloads, and open downloaded files – which is quite frightening.
How to remove Searchnewtab.com
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove searchnewtab.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove searchnewtab.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
3. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove searchnewtab.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove searchnewtab.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove searchnewtab.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to searchnewtab.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove searchnewtab.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove searchnewtab.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove searchnewtab.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove searchnewtab.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner and go to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Once complete click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.