What is AdBlock Max?
AdBlock Max also called AdBlock Max – remove invasive ads is the title of a browser extension offered by The Adblock Company for the Google Chrome Web Store and for use with the Google Chrome web browser and browsers that utilize the Chorium framework.
The AdBlock Max extension is self-promoted as a free browser extension that “removes popups, ads, and trackers on the most popular content sites and auto skip youtube ads.” In addition, the Adblock Company claims that the AdBlock Max extension has these features:
- Popup block – we block popup ads from thousands of sources
- Intrusive ads block – we also block other annoying ads
- Youtube ads skip – easy access to your videos
- Advertising tracker block – we block over 100 ad trackers
Does AdBlock Max work?
After reviewing the AdBlock Max extension for Google chrome we found that the extension functioned as advertised. The AdBlock Max extension for Google Chrome was able to block advertisements successfully including legitimate advertisements served by Google and malicious advertisements served by malicious advertising networks.
The extension currently has 2 reviews and a 1-star reviewer claiming that the extension did not work. The extension allegedly has over 100,000 users in the Chrome Web Store which may indicate that the extension has been exposed to users by deceptive means or force.
Is AdBlock Max safe?
The AdBlock Max extension provides a high privacy and security risk because it is often advertised in advertisements by malicious third-party advertising networks that are known to show ads for malware, spyware, adware, potentially unwanted programs, and other serious security threats and it collects private information. When the extension is installed it has permission to read your browsing history and read and change all your data on the websites you visit even when in incognito mode.
ALSO SEE: The Best Ad Blockers for Google Chrome
How to remove AdBlock Max
Follow these instructions to remove the AdBlock Max extension from Chrome:
- Open Chrome
- Go to Customize and control Google Chrome > More Tools > Extensions
- Find the AdBlock Max extension and click the Remove button
Although AdBlock Max is a browser extension that can simply be removed like other browser extensions the extension is still advertised by malicious third-party advertising networks that promote malware and potential threats and the extension is often promoted on websites that aren’t essentially permitted to use legitimate ad services like Google due to the content they contain such as malware, scams, copyrighted content, and torrents. Due to these factors, it is strongly advised to scan your computer or device for malware and potential threats that put your privacy at risk.
Follow these instructions to automatically remove malware with Malwarebytes. We recommend Malwarebytes as they have a free version, a free trial of the Premium version, and a Premium version that can all scan and remove malware. The only difference between the free versions and other others is that the free version is only a scan and removal tool while the others contain active protection that can stop malware in real and other security features that keep you protected online.
- Download the Malwarebytes setup file for the version you wish to use.
- Locate the setup file (MBSetup.exe) and open it to begin the installation process.
- Once Malwarebytes is installed click the Scan button.
- When finished, Malwarebytes will show a list of results including the detection names. Click the Quarantine button to remove all selected threats.
- Malwarebytes may require a system reboot. If so, restart your computer to complete the process.