What is Blocksly?
Blocksly is the title of a browser extension developed by email@example.com for the Google Chrome Web Store and for use with the Google Chrome web browser and browsers that utilize the Chorium framework.
The Blocksly extension is self-promoted as a free innovative ad protector for your browser that has a mass of advantages including:
- Blocking all types of ads (popups, banners, video-ads) on Youtube and other popular video services
- Rules auto-update to always keep you safe
- User-friendly design
- Developed on Manifest V3, which means new features, speed, and higher security
Does Blocksly work?
After reviewing the Blocksly extension for Google chrome we found that the extension did not function as advertised. The Blocksly extension for Google Chrome was unable to block advertisements successfully including legitimate advertisements served by Google and malicious advertisements served by malicious advertising networks.
The extension currently has 0 reviews and 1 user in the Chrome Web Store which may indicate that it is illegitimate. In addition, the link to contact the developer is broken although the developer does provide their email address in the overview section.
Is Blocksly safe?
The Blocksly extension provides a high privacy and security risk because the extension does not work as advertised, the developer or publisher in the Chrome Web Store is unknown, and it collects private information. When the extension is installed it has permission to read your browsing history and read and change all your data on the websites you visit even when in incognito mode.
In addition, the extension is often advertised in advertisements by malicious third-party advertising networks that are known to show ads for malware, spyware, adware, potentially unwanted programs, and other serious security threats.
ALSO SEE: The Best Ad Blockers for Google Chrome
How to remove Blocksly
Follow these instructions to remove the Blocksly extension from Chrome:
- Open Chrome
- Go to Customize and control Google Chrome > More Tools > Extensions
- Find the Blocksly extension and click the Remove button
Although Blocksly is a browser extension that can simply be removed like other browser extensions the extension is still advertised by malicious third-party advertising networks that promote malware and potential threats and the extension is often promoted on websites that aren’t essentially permitted to use legitimate ad services like Google due to the content they contain such as malware, scams, copyrighted content, and torrents. Due to these factors, it is strongly advised to scan your computer or device for malware and potential threats that put your privacy at risk.
Follow these instructions to automatically remove malware with Malwarebytes. We recommend Malwarebytes as they have a free version, free trial of the Premium version, and a Premuim version that can all scan and remove malware. The only difference between the free versions and other others is that the free version is only a scan and removal tool while the others contain active protection that can stop malware in real and other security features that keep you protected online.
- Download the Malwarebytes setup file for the version you wish to use.
- Locate the setup file (MBSetup.exe) and open it to begin the installation process.
- Once Malwarebytes is installed click the Scan button.
- When finished, Malwarebytes will show a list of results including the detection names. Click the Quarantine button to remove all selected threats.
- Malwarebytes may require a system reboot. If so, restart your computer to complete the process.