Unable to access the network – Google Chrome
What is Unable to access the network?
Unable to access the network is an alert or notification displayed by the Google Chrome Internet browser that can appear for several reasons relating to user safety or an error from a third-party security program.
What does Unable to access the network alert mean?
The Unable to access the network alert displayed by Google Chrome can be a safety precaution taken by Google Chrome or any third-party security software. This safety precaution will restrict access to a phishing or otherwise malicious website by displaying a full page with a notification that says “Unable to access the network.” This is done in order to protect internet user.
In some cases, users have reported that the Unable to access the network alert will appear when attempting to visit legitimate websites. This may cause issues for internet users as the cause is not often apparent. In rarer causes, users are directed to the Unable to access the network page when attempting to access the internet altogether. This may be relative to security software on the system.
- An error error 138 message associated with a Unable to access the network notification will indicate that an Antivirus or firewall program is blocking access to Google Chrome.
How to fix Unable to access the network
To resolve the Unable to access the network issue, or relating firewall issues, please refer to the instructions below.
Symantec Norton Users:
- Navigate to Start > All Programs > Norton Personal Firewall > Norton Personal Firewall
- On the left side, click Personal Firewall.
- From the new options, click Internet Access Options.
- From the new screen, Search for the program “Google Chrome”.
- Click the Modify button. A window called ‘Modify Rule’ will appear.
- Select the Action tab, then select ‘Allow’.
- Click OK.
- Right-click the Mcafee shield icon and navigate to the following: change settings > firewall > program permissions.
- Scroll down the list until you find the program blocked in error, choose it by clicking the name of the program > click the edit button at the bottom.
- Three choices are given from the drop down menu for your program: full (incoming & outgoing permissions), outgoing, or block. Choose block.