If your internet browser homepage has changed to search.searchitknow.com and your browser redirects to search.searchitknow.com when you open a new browser tab or search the web your computer is infected with different types of adware and potentially unwanted programs like Search Know. Search Know and other programs and browser attachments that cause the search.searchitknow.com redirect typically install alongside malware and other malicious threats. The search.searchitknow.com redirect usually occurs when a user opens a new browser window, opens a new browser tab, or searches the web using the browser’s address or omni bar. Browser redirects to www.search.searchitknow.com may also occur at random times and be the result of pop-under advertisements that take up an entire browser window.
Browser redirects to search.searchitknow.com are the result of programs, browser add-ons and extensions, and deceptive files that have obtained access to your computer and browser(s). To remove search.searchitknow.com and stop unwanted browser redirects it is recommended to uninstall any programs that may have enter your computer through Windows Control Panel, remove browser attachments that may be present, and scan your computer for existing malware with a reputable tool. Preferably a free tool that can scan and remove malware from your computer like Malwarebytes and HitmanPro. The main program that supports this dubious search engine is titled Search Know.
Search Know and other programs that promote search.searchitknow.com are usually contracted without consent or by use of deceptive marketing tactics. The program can install alongside freeware and media files. The program may also be promoted by rogue programs and misleading advertisements. The image above shows that the program was installed via a fake Java update for Windows.
Search.searchitknow.com (Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove search.searchitknow.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove search.searchitknow.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up your computer
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
3. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs like Search Know in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the unwanted add-on, select it, and remove it.
Step 3: Remove search.searchitknow.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove search.searchitknow.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove search.searchitknow.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to search.searchitknow.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove search.searchitknow.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove search.searchitknow.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove search.searchitknow.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove search.searchitknow.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
1. Download and Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the Anti-Malware program and click the Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
3. When the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer to completely remove detected files.
Step 6: Clean up your computer
1. Download and Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Open CCleaner after it is installed and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Context Menu and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.