How to remove Media Downloader (Virus Removal Guide)
Media Downloader (also known as MediaDownloader, Media Downloader virus)is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware that is promoted as a free video downloader used to download online video URLs to a computer system; However, the program is known to take advantage of user information in order to display targeted advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Media Downloader mainly uses browser helper objects that install to a Windows operating system, other software, and browser attachments, such as add-ons and extensions to collect user information display advertisements on affected internet browsers.
The items used to collect user information often have permissions that allow them to do so. In return, they collect a wide variety of data, including browser activity, browser history, bookmarks, installed app data, and more.
Advertisements display by this program are often identified by text that says something similar to “Ads by Media Downloader,” although these advertisements may be served by additional third-party adware and advertising platforms.
Media Downloader has also been found to associate with and bundle with additional third-party malware and PUPs. A computer user may experience advertisements served from third-party platforms such as RightCoupon, browser redirects when a opening a new browser window or tab, browser redirects when searching the web using the affected browser’s address bar, hijacked homepage settings, and other issues.
How did Media Downloader get on my computer?
Media Downloader adware is usually contracted without consent or knowledge of the computer user alongside third-party programs and files, such as freeware, shareware, torrent files, and other free downloadable content. The potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and files that deliver the adware can be introduced to a computer system and affected internet browsers with or without user authorization.
Computer and internet users who seek to download and install free programs and files online may be presented with an opportunity to accept or decline a ‘custom’ offer to install Media Downloader adware and other programs during the setup and installation process. However, the request to decline Media Downloader adware from installing is often presented in a very confusing manner. In some cases, the download manager may completely ignore the user request to decline Media Downloader from installing and the adware will install against user consent and knowledge.
[fancy_box title=”Media Downloader overview”]
- The Media Downloader extension for Google Chrome can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- The Media Downloader extension for Google Chrome can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- Media Downloader bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and possible malware.
- Media Downloader can arrive on a computer system packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as download.com, Softonic, and others.
- Media Downloader injects visited webpages with pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and in-image advertisements.
- Media Downloader makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing it to run every time Windows starts and to check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has previously been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove Media Downloader (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove Media Downloader extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall Media Downloader from Windows
- Step 3: Remove Media Downloader virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove Media Downloader extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Media Downloader extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the Media Downloader add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the Media Downloader extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall Media Downloader from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for Media Downloader and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove Media Downloader virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.Download CCleaner Free Buy Professional Now
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.