PC TuneUp Maestro (Removal Instructions)
PC TuneUp Maestro by CompuClever Systems Inc. is a questionable Windows Optimizer program that utilizes deceptive marketing tactics that can put your computer and personal data at risk. Depending on where PC TuneUp Maestro was downloaded the program will likely bundle with additional potentially unwanted programs and malware.
Our test machine was introduced to PC TuneUp Maestro via third-party download manager called Install Assistant. Install Assistant is a download manager that is used to bundle various unwanted programs, adware, malware, and some legitimate forms of freeware or trial software. Install Assistant was used to install known malware called HD Streaming Movies.
Advertisements used to promote the Install Assistant download manager were found on prohibited media related websites associated with streaming videos and torrents. The advertisement claimed that an update was needed to view videos online even though that is not the case. The misleading advertisement then installed the program and gave us an option to accept or decline an offer to install PC Maestro Power Suite, which is a collection of programs by CompuClever Systems Inc. including Program Management Console and PC Clean Maestro.
Once PC TuneUp Maestro is installed it will begin to scan your computer for alleged PC errors and optimization opportunities. The PC TuneUp Maestro results will always state that a large number of errors are found. Our test located 494 alleged errors.
The program is not free to use. It is a scanner only. After the scan is complete and the alleged detected errors are shown the program will attempt to persuade you to purchase the program or activate a license key. This is a common marketing ploy that many similar programs partake in. They will not identify that they are trial or scan only products. Their scans will claim that a large amount of errors are found and they will not fix the errors without being activated. Some malware researchers claim that this is done in order to scare users into purchasing the products. It is known as a scare-tactic.
PC TuneUp Maestro Details
|Name||PC TuneUp Maestro, PC TuneUp Maestro virus *This program is not a computer virus|
|Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher Description||Analyze and Fix Up Your PC. Optimize PC Performance. Boost Internet Speed.|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Common Path(s)||C:\Program Files (x86)|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
PC TuneUp Maestro Removal Instructions
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall PC TuneUp Maestro and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted browser extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove threats from your computer is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove threats from your computer is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall PC TuneUp Maestro and unwanted programs
The third step to remove threats from your computer is to uninstall PC TuneUp Maestro and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for PC TuneUp Maestro Supporting Application in the list and double click it to begin the uninstall process.
4. Once you have uninstalled PC TuneUp Maestro, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted browser extensions
The fourth step to remove threats from your computer is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove threats from your computer is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.