How to remove mixMovie (Virus Removal Guide)
mixMovie is the publisher of various browser add-ons and extensions including mixMovie Start and Search By mixMovie. Each mixMovie extension performs its own unique task. For example the Search By mixMovie extension will change your default search engine and the mixMovie Start extension will change your browser’s start-up or homepage. These browser extensions will replace your existing internet browser settings. They will change your homepage and default search engine to movix.searchalgo.com or another sponsored search engine that essentially displays advertisements for search results.
Depending on the user and the risks they are willing to take, mixMovie extensions can be very intrusive. They will have permissions set allowing them to perform various tasks outside of changing your homepage and default search engine.
For example, both the mixMovie Start and Search By mixMovie extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit. Individual extensions will essentially append their own permissions which can be found in the details of the extensions on your extensions page.
mixMovie extensions are usually promoted by questionable sources and download managers who utilize deceptive distribution methods. The extensions may claim they are something they are not in order to trick users into installing them. The promotions may be associated with a third-party distributor or advertiser.
|Name||mixMovie, mixMovie virus *This extension is not a computer virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Description||mixMovie Start is a new Chrome extension for a quick movies,trailers and actress click-and-visit experience.|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Common Path(s)||C:\Program Files (x86)|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
How to remove mixMovie (Virus Removal Guide)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Remove mixMovie extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this adware is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files that may be on your system.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this adware is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files and traces.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall mixMovie and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this adware is to uninstall potentially unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel if any are present on your machine.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for a potentially unwanted program or program you find suspicious in the list and double click it to start the uninstall process.
4. Remove mixMovie extension
The fourth step to remove this adware is to remove mixMovie extensions and other browser attachments from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the mixMovie extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the mixMovie add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the mixMovie add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the mixMovie extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove mixMovie and other threats from your computer is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.