How to remove The Weather Channel App (Virus Removal Guide)
The The Weather Channel App (also known as the Desktop Weather App) is a free advertisement-supported application published by Weather.com (as well as application for Android, iphone, Mac, etc). Some users claim to have installed without consent. The program has been reported by the internet security community to employ deceptive marketing tactics in order to download and install without user knowledge. Most Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs will detect The Weather Channel App or Desktop Weather App as a potentially unwanted program and adware.
The Weather Channel App is also known to collect and distribute user information, including manually submitted online information. It claims to use this information to display relevant weather statistics. Some information collected is considered anonymous and includes your location, gender, and year of birth, and other information collected by Weather.com is considered personally identifiable information (PII).
The Weather Channel App will collect your information when you:
- Complete a survey
- Register for a promotion, contest or sweepstakes
- Make a purchase from their online store
- Send them an e-mail message or complete an inquiry form to receive additional information
- Submit a photo or video to iWitness Weather
- Participate in an online forum or community, or
- Customize the Services.
The Weather Channel App may collect certain information through automated means, such as:
- Specific geographic location – where you are currently located
- Information about your device and device capabilities
- Information about your device operating system
- Information about the applications on your device
- Information about how you use the Services
- Your activities on the Services
- IP address
- Device identifier
- Browser type
- Browser identifier
- Referring URL
At various points, The Weather Channel App may provide users with the opportunity to opt-in to receive special offers from The Weather Channel and its affiliates. If you choose to opt in, The Weather Channel and its affiliates will use your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from The Weather Channel and its affiliates, including WSI Corporation, The Weather Underground LLC, and Weather Central, LP. These products may include, for example, schedules for special programs on The Weather Channel cable network or offers to purchase a calendar from The Weather Channel.
The Weather Channel App can be manually and voluntarily downloaded and installed but most users claim that the application installed to their desktop without consent. This may be because The Weather Channel App primarily bundles with third-party items, including legitimate software such as Filezilla and users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Weather Desktop to their computers alongside wanted software. In some cases this step is over-looked or ignore and many do not notice that The Weather Channel App installed. This is still considered voluntary but the offer to install The Weather Channel App may be represented in a colluding manner.
Browser attachments that bundle with ExternalSource have ‘permissions’ set allowing them to perform tasks users may find undesirable. These permissions are listed below.
- Read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- Read and change your browsing history.
- Manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
- Manage your downloads.
Users who wish to consciously install freeware may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install The Weather Channel App adware and other objects during the installation process; However, the user request to decline the adware from installing is often ignored by the program or presented in a confusing manner and the adware will install anyways.
In some cases, The Weather Channel App and other unwanted programs are deceptively promoted through questionable advertisements. These advertisements may be dishonest, misleading, and cause the program to automatically download and install once clicked on.
How to remove The Weather Channel App (Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall The Weather Channel App
- Step 3: Remove The Weather Channel App malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Remove The Weather Channel App add-ons and extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
Step 2: Uninstall The Weather Channel App
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for The Weather Channel App and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove The Weather Channel App malware with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.