How to remove The Weather Channel App – Desktop Weather removal instructions
The Weather Channel App – Desktop Weather
The The Weather Channel App also known as the Desktop Weather App is an essentially safe Microsoft Windows application developed by Weather.com (as well as application for Android, iphone, Mac, etc) that some users claim to have installed without consent; however, The Weather Channel App does not install without user consent, but instead may use disingenuous tactics to download and install to a Microsoft Windows computer system. For general purpose, The Weather Channel App is considered malware and categorized as adware and spyware.
The Weather Channel App is also known to collect and distribute user information including manually submitted information in order to display relative user weather information. Some information collected is considered anonymous and includes your location, gender, and year of birth, and other information collected by Weather.com is considered personally identifiable information (PII).
The Weather Channel App will collect your information when you:
- Complete a survey
- Register for a promotion, contest or sweepstakes
- Make a purchase from their online store
- Send them an e-mail message or complete an inquiry form to receive additional information
- Submit a photo or video to iWitness Weather
- Participate in an online forum or community, or
- Customize the Services.
The Weather Channel App may collect certain information through automated means, such as:
- Specific geographic location – where you are currently located
- Information about your device and device capabilities
- Information about your device operating system
- Information about the applications on your device
- Information about how you use the Services
- Your activities on the Services
- IP address
- Device identifier
- Browser type
- Browser identifier
- Referring URL
The Weather Channel App uses information collected on the Services, and disclose information to third parties, including your physical geographic location, to help fulfill your requests or in connection with the operation of the Services, for example to service your account, conduct a transaction or provide a service that you have requested, display information and unwanted advertisements that we believe match your interests and profile, facilitate updates to the Services, provide support, notify you if you’ve won a contest or sweepstakes, improve the working of the Services, and compile statistics about the users and your use of the Services. The Weather Channel App and such third parties may on occasion combine information about you with information obtained from other parties to market to you products or services.
At various points, The Weather Channel App may provide users with the opportunity to opt-in to receive special offers from The Weather Channel and its affiliates. If you choose to opt in, The Weather Channel and its affiliates will use your personally identifiable information to inform you of other products or services available from The Weather Channel and its affiliates, including WSI Corporation, The Weather Underground LLC, and Weather Central, LP. These products may include, for example, schedules for special programs on The Weather Channel cable network or offers to purchase a calendar from The Weather Channel.
The Weather Channel App may be the culprit of unwanted advertisements and even unwanted email spam, junk mail, and telephone calls from telemarketers.
Some users have complained that The Weather Channel App is difficult to uninstall or that they still receive Desktop Weather pop-ups even after The Weather Channel App has been removed.
*The Weather Channel App is not a computer virus.
How does The Weather Channel App get onto a computer?
The Weather Channel App can be manually and voluntarily downloaded and installed but most users claim that the application installed to their desktop without consent. This may be because The Weather Channel App primarily bundles with third-party items, including legitimate software such as Filezilla and users may be given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Weather Desktop to their computers alongside wanted software. In some cases this step is over-looked or ignore and many do not notice that The Weather Channel App installed. This is still considered voluntary but the offer to install The Weather Channel App may be represented in a colluding manner.
Once installed Desktop Weather will display an icon on the bottom right of Windows task bar. Sometimes the icon will display the current temperature or prompt pop-up advertisements and additional information.
How to remove Desktop Weather malware
- Automatically remove The Weather Channel App - Scan for and automatically remove The Weather Channel App and third-party malware
- Manually remove The Weather Channel App - Remove/Uninstall The Weather Channel App software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Desktop Weather removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove The Weather Channel App and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Desktop Weather and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall The Weather Channel App and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for The Weather Channel App, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Desktop Weather removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall The Weather Channel App and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall The Weather Channel App
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for The Weather Channel App and other potentially unwanted software. Once The Weather Channel App malware is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.