|Zyklon, Zyklon virus, Zyklon Locker (GNL)
|100 / 100 *WARNING – REMOVE IMMEDIATELY!
Zyklon virus (Zyklon Locker (GNL)) is dangerous ransomware that encrypts the files on your computer and adds .zyklon or .locked to the file extension name. Zyklon ransomware will also leave several files in every folder it encrypts files on and a ransom note contained inside a .txt or .html file (depending on the variant).
When installed, Zyklon malware will scan the infected computer for matching files to encrypt and will append them with a new file name and extension. It will add several files and may even display a new .jpg image on Windows desktop background. The ransomware will leave a ransom note that says “Your files are locked / encrypted” and that “You can unlock your files by paying requested amount (~$/€190).”
It is not recommended to pay ransomware authors to decrypt your files. Instead you can use programs like Shadow Explorer or Recuva to restore encrypted or deleted files.
How to remove Zyklon
- Restore your encrypted files with Recuva
- Remove Zyklon with Malwarebytes
- Perform a second-opinion scan with HitmanPro
- Cleanup junk and repair your settings with CCleaner
Restore your encrypted files with Recuva
2. Run the program and start the Recuva Wizard.
3. Select All Files and click Next.
4. Select a file location. Click I’m not sure to search everywhere on your computer.
5. Click Start.
6. Select All Files with your mouse and click the Recover button.
If you cannot restore your files with Recuva we recommend to try using Shadow Explorer to restore your files.
Remove Zyklon with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
Perform a second-opinion scan with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
Cleanup junk and repair your settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
Common Online Guidelines
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know