Top8844.com (also known as top8844 virus, top8844.com virus, top8844 Search) is a deceptive search engine website that is promoted through multiple potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and browser hijackers. Programs associated with this website modify existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Internet Explorer in order to cause affected internet browsers to redirect to top8844.com.
top8844.com automatically changes internet browser settings, but it will need to employ several programs and sometimes browser add-ons and extensions in order to do so. These programs are detected by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware software as potentially unwanted programs and possible malware. The associated top8844 program can be found in Windows Control Panel.
Once software used to promote the top8844 virus is installed, the application will begin to replace existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information, including browser history and data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more.
If software that causes your internet browser to redirect to http://www.top8844.com is installed on your computer system and attached to your internet browser it is likely that other unwanted programs and malware may have been contracted alongside the initial threat. Additional items may need to be removed to stop all unwanted activities.
The top8844 virus may redirect users to additional websites such as bing.com and yahoo.com. top8844 is not considered a legitimate standalone search engine. Search results displayed by the search engine contain suspicious sponsored links and website results.
Items used to promote the top8844.com virus can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites including download.com; However, top8844 programs primarily bundle with freeware and shareware, including aggressive installers that do not allow the user to cancel download.
Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted software and change their home page and search engine to the top8844.com search engine, but the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
top8844 Search overview:
[list style=”check” color=”green”]
- top8844 and objects that promote the webpage can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- top8844 and objects that promote top8844 Search can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- top8844 Search and objects that promote the search engine bundle with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- top8844 Search and objects that promote the search engine are usually packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as Cnet (download.com), Softonic, and others.
- top8844 Search and objects that promote the search engine cause browser redirects.
- top8844 Search and objects that promote the search engine makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove top8844.com
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Uninstall unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove unwanted browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove top8844.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove top8844.com homepage
- Step 5: Remove top8844 virus with Malwarebytes
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner
Step 1: Uninstall unwanted programs
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2.Navigate to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
3. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program).
4. A list of programs installed on your computer will appear. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall).
Step 2: Remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click on the Customize icon (3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the add-on, select it, and remove it.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove top8844.com search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove top8844.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove top8844.com search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to top8844.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove top8844.com homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove top8844.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove top8844.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove top8844.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Remove top8844 virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download Malwarebytes Free[/button][button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/?affiliate=23046&scope=checkout&cart=139724″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Premium Now[/button]
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 6: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fstandard” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download CCleaner Free[/button]
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fprofessional” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Professional Now[/button]
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.