How to remove SearchLock for Chrome (Virus Removal Guide)
SearchLock for Chrome is a browser extension compatible with Google Chrome that changes your web browser’s default search settings to searchlock.com. This causes your web browser to redirect to feed.searchlock.com, results.searchlock.com, and other addresses when you search the web. The purpose of this technique is to track what you search for online as the extension has permission to read and change all your data.
There are numerous symptoms that may occur when the SearchLock for Chrome extension is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search provider
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Suspicious browser extensions installed
- Suspicious programs on your PC
- Slower browsing experience
- Slow and sluggish PC
SearchLock for Chrome is promoted as a free browser extension that keeps your search history private and anonymous by directing you to their allegedly encrypted search engine. It should be noted that most websites utilize security certificates and HTTPS to enable encryption. Which means that this method is no different from what major search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing employ. The searchlock.com website also utilizes excessive amounts of cookies and data files that it places on your computer to track your browsing activity.
How to remove SearchLock for Chrome (Virus Removal Tutorial)
The virus removal tutorial on this page provides you with instructions to remove the SearchLock for Chrome extension, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer and mobile device.
Step 1: Remove SearchLock for Chrome with ESET Smart Security
Use ESET Smart Security to remove SearchLock for Chrome, malware, and potentially unwanted applications (also known as potentially unwanted programs) from your computer and mobile device.
ESET Smart Security is a premium internet security program with antivirus technology, multi-platform protection, privacy protection, and other superior internet security features. With ESET Smart Security you can protect your Windows, Mac, and Android devices with a single license.
1. Download and install ESET Smart Security. *When installing ESET Smart Security, select the option to enable detection of potentially unwanted applications (if applicable).
2. Once ESET Smart Security is installed, open the program and navigate to the Computer scan tab.
ESET Smart Security may automatically update and perform an initial scan. The ‘initial scan’ takes longer to complete than a normal computer or removable media scan. It is recommended to perform a second scan following the initial scan.
3. Click Scan your computer to scan all local disks and clean threats.
Step 2: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner Professional
Use CCleaner Professional to remove junk files and trackers, preserve Windows registry, and disable browser plugins that may affect the way your system and browser operates.
2. Once CCleaner Professional is installed, open the program and navigate to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner Professional can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.
More removal and repair options
ESET Smart Security is one of the top Antivirus and internet security program on the market and CCleaner Professional is arguably the only respected Windows System Utility program; However, in rare cases, even the best Antivirus program can miss small trace files and potential threats.
Remove malware with HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is a powerful antimalware program that detects and removes known malicious files, trackers, and registry entries related to viruses, rootkits, trojans, ransomware, adware, worms, spyware, and other malware. What makes HitmanPro.Alert stand out is that it will remove a large sample of malicious or potentially malicious files than most antimalware and antivirus programs.
- Download and install HitmanPro.Alert.
- Once HitmanPro.Alert is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button.
- When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button.
Uninstall a program
In some cases, it is possible to uninstall a potentially unwanted program from the Windows Control Panel but this will not remove malware or potentially unwanted programs from your computer.
- Right-click the start menu on the taskbar and select Apps and Features.
- Locate the program, select it, and click the Uninstall button that appears next to it when selected.
Remove a browser extension or add-on
A browser extension or add-on may be causing an issue with your browsing experience (browser redirects, pop-up advertisements, surveillance). Removing the browser extension will typically repair browser settings and return them to normal but it will not remove malware or potentially unwanted programs from your computer.
- Run Chrome.
- Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
- Locate the extension and click the Remove button.
- Run Firefox.
- Open the menu and go to Add-ons.
- Locate the extension and click the Remove button.