How to remove SlimCleaner (Virus Removal Guide)
SlimCleaner (also known as SlimCleaner Plus by SlimWare Utilities Inc.) is one of the most misleading Windows Optimizer programs I have ever witnessed. It’s easy to see why this software is detected as a potentially unwanted program or possible malware by most reputable programs. From the start, possible SlimCleaner Plus malware utilizes very misleading marketing techniques and promotions to persuade users into installing the software.
Furthermore, SlimCleaner Plus performs a scan for several topics and will return misleading results that often claim thousands of items were found and need to be fixed. Before a user is to fix the results found in the scan, the user must register and purchase (subscribe to) the misleading program. But, before the user is aware that they must purchase the software the program will make the user submit personal details, such as full name, email address, and location before suggesting that they must purchase the item.
Information collected by the SlimCleaner virus (although not technically a computer virus) are used for marketing purposes. Users will receive unwanted email spam and other promotions through other ways of communication.
What makes possible SlimCleaner malware stand out from the rest of the pack when it comes to potential scareware, it’s the large quantity of errors it claims to find and misleading ways it is designed to gather user information only for marketing purposes. It seems like the software and it’s publishers could care less about a user’s computer, all they want is money and will utilize the most misleading marketing tactics to acquire it.
When experimenting with the program it told our analysts that it found 9,255 errors but would not detail actual errors, just existing files that do not pose a threat. This is the highest number we have ever reached during a scan.
Furthermore, the tasks that SlimCleaner Plus performs are actually free for users and some are automatic on a Windows Operating System. And, in some cases the detected items and files should not be fixed as they pose no threat whatsoever.
A big red flag with this program is that it gathers user information using dubious methods. It first performs a scan, which results in a large quantity of items that need to be “fixed.” Then when users attempt to fix the results with the program they will be asked for their personal information before they are made aware that they must purchase the item. They call this “registration,” but really it’s utter nonsense to gather personally identifiable information from the user before they are made aware that the software is not actually free.
Another high risk concern with possible SlimCleaner malware is that it primarily bundles with other unwanted programs, possible malware, and malicious traces. Additional items may also need to be removed alongside possible SlimCleaner scareware to stop all unwanted activities from occurring.
[fancy_box title=”SlimCleaner overview”]
- The SlimCleaner extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- The SlimCleaner extension can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- SlimCleaner bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and possible malware.
- SlimCleaner can arrive on a computer system packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as download.com, Softonic, and others.
- SlimCleaner injects visited webpages with pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and in-image advertisements.
- SlimCleaner makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing it to run every time Windows starts and to check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has previously been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove SlimCleaner (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove unwanted extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall SlimCleaner from Windows
- Step 3: Remove SlimCleaner virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove unwanted extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for unwanted extensions in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for unwanted add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for unwanted extensions in the list and click the Uninstall button on each one indivudually.
Step 2: Uninstall SlimCleaner from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for SlimCleaner and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove SlimCleaner virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full edition of this program enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is only a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the Scan Now button or go to the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete you will notice a list of files it has detected. Click the Remove Selected button, then click Finish, and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full edition of CCleaner by Piriform.Download CCleaner Free Buy Professional Now
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.