Video Downloader Pro
Video Downloader Pro is a questionable browser extension for multiple web browsers. It is promoted as a free tool that can be used to “download any media content from any website all over the net.” However, as shown in the image below, this claim is false. Video Downloader Pro will not allow you to download videos from the most popular video sharing website in the world, YouTube. The Video Downloader Pro extension claims that it does not support downloading from YouTube due to YouTube policy.
Video Downloader Pro is not entirely malicious, but it is recognized as adware by various sources. Some users claim that Video Downloader Pro and similar browser extensions display pop-up and in-text advertisements. Video Downloader Pro ads can usually be identified by text on them that say “Ads By Video Downloader Pro” on the bottom corner.
One of the main concerns with the Video Downloader Pro extension are the permissions it has set in place. The Video Downloader Pro Google Chrome extension has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit and manage your downloads.
Video Downloader Pro Distribution Method
Video Downloader Pro bundles with other programs and files that are downloaded from a questionable source. Downloading objects online including freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site it can lead to a computer infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, Video Downloader Pro adware might have automatically downloaded in the background without disclosure. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update or something else. Malicious publishers sometimes hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances Video Downloader Pro may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
Video Downloader Pro Details
|Names||Video Downloader Pro, Video Downloader Pro virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher’s Description||Video Downloader Pro is a magic tool helping you download any media content from any website all over the Net.|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Path||C:\Program Files (x86)\Video Downloader Pro|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
How to remove Video Downloader Pro (Virus Removal Guide)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Video Downloader Pro and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Video Downloader Pro and unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Video Downloader Pro in the list of installed programs and double click it to initiate the manual uninstall process.
4. Once you have uninstalled Video Downloader Pro, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.