How to remove TheBrowser (Virus Removal Instructions)
TheBrowser (also searched for as TheBrowser virus or The Browser) is a potentially malicious program that can cause a lot of problems for computer users. TheBrowser is difficult to uninstall. It will usually remain on a computer system after it is manually uninstalled via Windows Control Panel. The directory path does not include an executable file to launch the uninstall process. The program will also bundle with malware and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). This is why it is recommended to use a reputable malware removal tool to remove TheBrowser and other threats from your computer.
|Name(s)||TheBrowser, TheBrowser virus|
|Short Description||TheBrowser is promoted as a free web browser.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects in the web browser.|
|Removal Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
What is TheBrowser?
TheBrowser is promoted as a free alternative web browser that utilizes the open source Google Chromium project. The Chromium project essentially allows anyone to publish an internet browser that resembles Google Chrome.
TheBrowser is often promoted by third-party software bundlers, trojan downloaders, download managers, dubious files, and misleading advertisements. The advertisements primarily generate on media related websites including torrent websites and video streaming sites that utilize unethical advertising platforms.
TheBrowser Removal Instructions
TheBrowser and other programs it bundles with can usually be uninstalled manually from your computer and internet browser. We have provided several steps below the article to show you how remove TheBrowser and other threats. However, if you have clicked on any random ads or have been redirected to suspicious websites, your system may have been exposed to malware and other threats. To make sure your PC is completely clean and your information is protected from cyber criminals, we recommend that you follow all the steps below.
- Step 1: Uninstall TheBrowser from Windows
- Step 2: Remove unwnated add-ons and extensions
- Step 3: Remove TheBrowser virus with Malwarebytes
- Step 4: Remove TheBrowser malware with HitmanPro
- Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Step 1: Uninstall TheBrowser from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall TheBrowser and other programs that it may bundle with from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find TheBrowser installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for TheBrowser and other programs in the list of installed programs and double click the program you want to remove to uninstall it. You can also select TheBrowser with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled TheBrowser look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
Step 2: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
Follow the instructions to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find unwanted attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 3: Remove TheBrowser virus with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove TheBrowser with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
Step 4: Remove TheBrowser malware with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove TheBrowser with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Step 5: Clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. To finish things off, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.