How to remove Movie-Quest (Virus Removal Guide)
Movie-Quest virus is a term used to identify an internet browser extension mostly advertised on websites that promote malware, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, spyware, and unethical content. In addition, the Movie-Quest extension has a lot of intrusive permissions that can invade your privacy and modify your browser settings without your knowledge.
The Movie-Quest extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit, change your search settings to movie-quest.co, and alter other various browser settings which will cause your affected browser to redirect to a new website when you search the web using the address bar, open a new browser window, or open a new browser tab. The publisher generates revenue from advertisements and sponsored search content, as well as information it might collect about you and your online habits.
The Movie-Quest extension is promoted as a free browser extension that will help you find movie information by searching in the omni box or address bar.
As previously mentioned, the Movie-Quest extension is advertised on websites that also advertise malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats. This means that if you found Movie-Quest attached to your internet browser without your consent or knowledge it is likely that your computer picked-up other malicious programs that should be eradicated to ensure your privacy and safety.
It has been reported that the Movie-Quest extension or browser extensions similar to it can also be automatically installed without user consent and knowledge by third-party malware, adware, and download managers. These third-party objects will also infect your computer with additional malware and other threats.
How to remove Movie-Quest extension, malware, and viruses
This Movie-Quest removal guide will help you remove Movie-Quest, viruses, malware, unwanted extensions, and other threats from your computer. Follow each step below to remove this infection and protect yourself, friends, and your family from cyber criminals.
- Step 1: Remove Movie-Quest extension
- Step 2: Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-malware
- Step 3: Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
- Step 4: Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
- Step 5: Manually repair browser settings (Optional)
1. Remove Movie-Quest extension and add-on
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Click the trashcan icon next to the Movie-Quest extension to remove it.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Click Remove next to the Movie-Quest add-on to remove it.
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Select the Movie-Quest add-on with your mouse and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Click the Uninstall button next to the Movie-Quest extension to remove it.
2. Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
3. Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
4. Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.