How to remove newssci.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Newssci.com virus is a browser hijacker infection that modifies the shortcuts for internet browsers installed on the computer. The infection changes the browser shortcut so that the browser will point to a batch file when launched rather than the browser’s executable file.
The Newssci.com virus utilizes various potentially unwanted programs to make changes to browser settings and later the browser shortcut. Once these programs are installed they will replace the existing homepage, new tab page, and search engine with page-ups.com/all/, newssci.com/sear2/, or other URL.
This will cause affected web browsers to start-up on and redirect to semptum.com/HTWfjz (or other URL) and then to one of the websites listed below:
The programs used to change browser setting will also set the browser shortcut to open on a batch file that may represent one of the domain names listed above.
A concern with this infection is that the programs used to modify your browser settings typically bundle with or are advertised on websites alongside other malware and potentially unwanted programs. This means that there is a good chance your computer is infected with other threats that should be eradicated immediately.
In order to remove newssci.com and stop redirects to the website it is recommended to scan your computer for malware that can remain hidden on your machine and remove rogue browser extensions.
This newssci.com removal guide will help you remove newssci.com virus, malware, and other malicious threats from your browser and computer.
How to remove newssci.com virus
- Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
- Step 2: Remove browser add-on and extensions
- Step 3: Remove newssci.com search engine
- Step 4: Remove newssci.com homepage
- Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
Step 1: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs
1. Go to the Control Panel on Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove a program) in the Programs section.
3. The Programs and Features window will open. This window contains a list of programs installed on your computer. Search for suspicious and unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once a program you want to remove is located, double click it to begin the uninstall process (or select the program and click Uninstall). To sort programs that were recently installed on your computer click the “Installed On” tab. This makes it easier to identify problematic programs that may have been contracted around the same time you started to notice symptoms of this infection.
Step 2: Remove browser add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons and click Remove next to each one.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons, select one individually with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list and click the Uninstall button next to each one.
Step 3: Remove newssci.com search engine
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove newssci.com search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove newssci.com search engine from the list.
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to newssci.com search engine to remove it.
Step 4: Remove newssci.com homepage
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove newssci.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove newssci.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove newssci.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.
Step 5: Scan your computer for malware
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
Step 6: Clean up and repair settings
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.