MPC AdCleaner (More Powerful Cleaner AdCleaner, MorePowerfulCleaner AdCleaner) is a rogue Windows program that is introduced to a computer by other native programs such as MPC Cleaner. Once the native program is installed it will change your browser settings and automatically download and install additional programs including MPC AdCleaner.
The native program will modify the browser settings of internet browsers installed on your computer. It will replace your homepage, start-page, default tab page, and search engine with search.mpc.am. The only way to remove the search engine is to manually change each setting yourself in your browser settings.
An icon for this program will appear on your desktop.
MPC AdCleaner cannot manually be uninstalled. It does not contain a uninstall.exe file. The native application does not contain an executable in the Control Panel but can be uninstalled from the main folder. Uninstalling the native program will not uninstall MPC AdCleaner. The most common way to remove MPC AdCleaner is to use a reputable tool such as Malwarebytes.
MPC AdCleaner Distribution Methods
MPC AdCleaner primarily bundles with other programs that are downloaded by the user with out without consent. The most common way this happens is by downloading a program or file from a questionable distributor. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files might in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, downloading it from a malicious site will lead to infection. We were introduced to MPC AdCleaner by a third-party download manager for a malicious media player.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, MPC AdCleaner adware could have also been downloaded in the background without permission of the user. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update. Malicious authors often hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances MPC AdCleaner may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
MPC AdCleaner Details
|Names||PUP.Optional.MorePowerfulCleaner, MPC AdCleaner, MPC AdCleaner virus|
|Detection Categories||Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to search.mpc.am and sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
Automatically downloads additional programs in the background
Difficult to uninstall
No option to manually uninstall in Control Panel
Files will remain on system after program is uninstalled
|Folder||C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC AdCleaner|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
MPC AdCleaner Removal Instructions
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove MPC AdCleaner, viruses, and malware from your computer is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove MPC AdCleaner is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The third step to remove MPC AdCleaner is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.