What is Movie Hunt?
The Movie Hunt extension is a free browser attachment compatible with Google Chrome and other popular Internet Browsers. The Movie Hunt extension is promoted as a free tool that allows you to search the web for movie related content. However, the extension only uses Yahoo search to provide search results. Once the Movie Hunt extension is installed it will replace your existing internet browser settings, causing your browser to redirect to moviehunt.online, search.yahoo.com, and other unwanted web pages when you search the web or open a new browser tab.
Furthermore, the Movie Hunt extension can violate your privacy. As you can see below, the extension has permission allowing it to perform tasks that may not be suitable for most users.
- Read and change all your data on the websites you visit
- Change your search settings to: moviehunt.online
Another concern with the extension is that it is typically advertised on websites that display malicious advertisements and host malware. If you found the Movie Hunt extension attached to your browser or have visited a website that advertises the Movie Hunt extension, it is likely that your computer was introduced to other threats that should be eradicated before they cause other complications.
Movie Hunt removal steps
Follow the Movie Hunt removal steps on this page to remove the Movie Hunt extension from Google Chrome and other browsers. The steps will help you remove other malicious threats that can install alongside the Movie Hunt extension such as malware, viruses, adware, and spyware.
STEP 1: Remove the browser extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Click the trashcan icon next to the Movie Hunt extension to remove it.
STEP 2: Scan your computer for malware with Malwarebytes
2. Double click the executable file (mb3-setup.exe or other) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
3. In some versions of the installation file you can simply select your language and click Next to install the program; Otherwise, select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
4. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
5. Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
6. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
STEP 3: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Double click the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
3. Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
4. Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
5. Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
6. When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
7. Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
8. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
9. Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
10. Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.