MicroCop virus is very aggressive ransomware that encrypts the files on your computer using DES encryption and adds a Locked. string to the file name. This means that a file named test.png will be renamed Locked.test.png after it has become encrypted.
MicroCop will also replace the victim’s wallpaper with a background that contains a picture of an Anonymous member stating the victim stole 48.48 bitcoins from them and they want it back before they will decrypt the files. The outrageous ransom note reads:
Hello, You've stolen 48.48 BTC from the wrong people, please be so kind to return them and we will return your files.. Don't take us for fools, we know more about you than you know about yourself. Pay us back and we won't take further action, don't pay and be prepared.
This infection has nothing to do with Anonymous and to make matters worse, the 48 bitcoins ransom is equivalent to $32,708.64 USD. Furthermore, the malware authors will behind a ransom note, but they do not provide a way to contact them in order to arrange payments or receive the decryption key.
As you can see this is a very serious computer infection. It is not recommended to make a payment to the malware author unless you have no choice. Luckily, you can recover your files and remove MicroCop ransomware for free using the instructions below.
How to remove MicroCop virus
1. Download MirCopDecrypter.zip to decrypt your files for free. *Source uknown.
2. Once you have recovered your files download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files.
3. To use this program, open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button.
4. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
5. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
6. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan and remove remaining traces.
7. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
8. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
9. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
10. Click the Reboot button.
11. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to clean your registry, remove left-over files, and repair settings.
12. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
13. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
14. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
How to stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
Common Online Guidelines
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know