How To Remove The “Fun Moods” Browser Hijacker Virus (Start.Funmoods.com, Face Moods)
What Is The Fun Moods Virus (Start.Funmoods.com)?
The Fun Moods virus (also known as Face Moods, funmoods) is adware and spyware published by Volonet LTD, categorized as a complete browser hijacker that is capable of changing internet browser settings and browser helped objects, such as the homepage (startup page), browser add-ons and extensions, and managed search engines (default search: start.funmoods.com) which cause internet searches and inputted URLs to redirect to Fun Mood’s search engine Start.Funmoods.com or other third party drive-by websites. Fun Moods is often referred to as a “redirection” virus because of this.
Like many browser hijackers, The Fun Moods virus is distrubuted with user consent, downloaded voluntaterly as freeware, but may also install onto infected computers and internet browsers along side (bundled with) other malware, Trojans, and viruses.
Funmoods.com (Fun Moods) claims they are not adware, nor spyware, and also state they are not responsible for any malware on an infected computer system which may have been contracted through them by a third party. Fun Moods purposely leaves the door wide open for other malware infections and third party programs, this is how they extort money from victims. Their terms claim they are not responsible for these actions in grave detail, yet malicious symptoms almost always transpire.
Funmoods.com freeware products range from toolbars and internet settings which claim to help enrich the social media experience by letting users use emoticons, etc. Please be aware, though this may sound realistic, it is not. Fun Moods is can be fatally dangerous if not removed from your computer and internet browser.
Fun Moods Virus Symptoms
- Fun Moods creates directory files and registry entries on an infected system.
- Fun Moods changes internet browser settings and BHOs (browser helper objects) such as homepage (startup page), extensions/toolbars, and more.
- Fun Moods redirects infected internet browsers to funmoods.com, start.funmoods.com, and malicious third party websites.
- Fun Moods has many symptoms of adware such as popup advertisements and other common adware infections.
- Once Fun Moods (Funmoods) start to install on your computer it does not allow you to quit their installation unless you access Window’s Task Manager (CTRL+Shit+ESC) and manually end the Funmoods task from running. After this is done, Funmoods will continue to place a file on your desktop called “Continue Funmoods Installation” (pictured below).
How To Remove The Fun Moods Virus
Fun Moods installs files and values onto an infected system and affects many individual internet settings. Often some victims only have an add-on, extension, or toolbar installed onto their system while other victims have a dynamic file library.
1. Antivirus/Anti-Malware Software
The safest program to remove hijacker malware is Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes has the largest sample rate of malware due to being the top downloaded Anti-Malware application for the past 2 years and has been documented to remove Funmoods malware (pictured above). Malwarebytes also offers free and paid versions.
2. Funmoods Manual Removal Steps
There are separate options to manually remove Fun Moods (Funmoods, Facemoods) from your computer and internet browser.
Remove Fun Moods (Face Moods) From Your Computer
To remove funmoods from your computer, navigate to the Control Panel in the Start menu, then click on Uninstall/Remove Programs.
Find the funmoods Toolbar (facemoods) and click Remove.
Remove funmoods start page from your browser’s home page
To reset your homepage, go to your browser settings:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer- Go to Tools and then click Internet Options. On General tab, click Restore to Default.
- Mozilla Firefox 4 – Click the orange “Firefox” button on the top left then click Options. On General tab, click Restore to Default.
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6 – Go to Tools, click Options. On General tab, click to select your default homepage setting.
- Google Chrome – Click on the Wrench icon (top of browser), then go to Options and on Basics tab select your default homepage setting.
Remove funmoods from your browser’s default search
(this is the search located on top right in Explorer/Firefox and in the address bar of Chrome.)
- Internet Explorer- Go to Tools and select Internet Options. In the first tab labeled General, click Settings then select your preferred search provider and click Set as Default.
- Mozilla Firefox- Click the downward arrow button next to the search box. Then select Manage Search Engines. Select funmoods Search and click Remove.
- Google Chrome – Click the wrench icon and select Options. Make sure you are on the first tab “Basics” and then look for “Search” option to select your preferred provider.
Remove funmoods newly opened tabs on your browser
- Internet Explorer 9 – to remove funmoods search from new tabs, go to Tools -> Internet options -> general -> tabs settings, and set the “when a new tab is opened, open” drop down, and choose “The new tab page”.
- Internet Explorer 7 and 8 – to remove from funmoods new tabs, the program has to be uninstalled completely.
- Mozilla Firefox – Go to Tools and then addons, click Options, then select Advanced and uncheck the first option “Use funmoods as enhanced search for new tab”.
Google Chrome Extension (CRX):
- Open Chrome, click on the Settings icon (wrench) and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
- Select the Funmoods Toolbar plugin from the list of extensions, and click Uninstall or Disable. (The image below shows a toolbar for another popular form of similar adware, My Web Search)
- To search which extensions are currently running on Chrome navigate to Tools > Task Manager
Mozilla Firefox Extension (XPI):
- Open Firefox, and navigate to Tools -> Add-ons (Ctrl+Shift+A).
- Select Extensions and find the particular Funmoods/Facemoods Toolbar extension, and click disable and remove.
How to block the Funmoods.com cookie
- 1.From the Tools menu, select Options
- 2.In the upper section of the Options window, click Privacy
- 3.In the Cookies tab, click Exceptions
- 4. In the new Exceptions – Cookies window, enterFunmoods.com in the Address of Website field and click Disable.
Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Click the Tools button and then click Manage add-ons.
- Under Show, click All add-ons or Toolbars and Extensions. (Depends which IE you use)
- Select the Funmoods plugin from the list of software, and click disable.
How to block the Funmoods.com cookie
- 1. From the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, select Internet Options
- 2. Select the Privacy tab and then click Sites. The Per site privacy actions window will be displayed
- 3. In the Per site privacy actions window, enter Funmoods.com in the Address of Web site field
- 4. Click Block
Restricted site option
Access: Tools(Alt-x) > Internet Options
Select the Security tab and click Restricted sites
Click the “Sites” button and individually enter: Funmoods.com
Apple Safari Extension:
- In settings, go to Preferences and click the Extensions tab.
- Remove/Disable Funmoods Toolbar extension or turn all extensions Off.
How to block the Funmoods.com cookie
- 1. Click the general Safari menu icon and select Safari Preferences
- 2. Select the Privacy tab, and check: Block cookies: “from third parties and advertisers”