Social2Search is not something you want to find installed on your computer. Social2Search is recognized as a potentially malicious programs. Various Antivirus and Anti-Malware suites will detect this program as adware and a potentially unwanted program (or PUP). One concern with this adware is that it is typically distributed by malicious software bundlers that will also download other malicious programs onto the infected computer. A software bundler that spreads Social2Search uses a fake Windows notification that take up the display and claims that a software release pack is available to download. Once the button to download the release pack is clicked malware and unwanted programs will automatically download in the background.
Once this adware has been introduced to a machine it infects it will display pop-up ads that say “Ads By Social2Search” on the bottom corner. The program may also be responsible for changing your current browser settings and causing browser redirects to commercial websites.
Social2Search Distribution Method
Social2Search bundles with other programs and files that are downloaded from a questionable source. Downloading objects online including freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site it can lead to a computer infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, Social2Search adware might have automatically downloaded in the background without disclosure. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update or something else. Malicious publishers sometimes hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances Social2Search may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
|Names||Social2Search, Social2Search virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Path||C:\Program Files (x86)\Social2Search|
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
How to remove Social2Search (Virus Removal Guide)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Social2Search and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Social2Search and unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Social2Search in the list of installed programs and double click it to initiate the manual uninstall process.
4. Once you have uninstalled Social2Search, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.