What is Fantom virus?
Fantom virus is EDA2 based ransomware that encrypts the files on a computer it infects using AES-128 encryption, adds the .fantom extension to the file names, and demands a ransom be paid in order to decode encrypted files.
Fantom ransomware will leave a ransom note named DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.HTML in every folder it encrypts files in and an image of the ransom note in %UserProfile%\2d5s8g4ed.jpg that will replace your background on Windows Desktop. The files contain a ransom note that explains what happened to the affected files and how to pay the ransom to acquire a special decryption key that can be used to decode the encrypted files. The note may suggest that users email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to acquire a decryption key.
Attention ! All your files have been encrypted. Due encrypting was used algoritm RSA-4096 and AES-256. used for protection military secrets. That means > RESTORE YOU DATA POSIBLE ONLY BUYING decryption passwords from us. Getting a decryption of your files is - SIMPLY task. (written by botcrawl.com) That all what you need: 1. Sent your ID_KEY on mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com 2. For test, decrypt 2 small files, to be sure that we can decrypt your files. 3. Pay our services. 4. GET software with passwords for decrypt your files. 5. Make measures to prevent this type situations again.
ALL FILES ENCRIPTED!!! TO DECRYPT FILES WRITE TO EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Once a computer becomes infected with Fantom ransomware it will not only encrypt files and change the file names, it will add two batch files that are executed when the encryption is finished in order to delete shadow volume copies. It will also dump files in every folder it encrypts files in that contain a ransom note. The note can additionally be used as a lock screen that restricts access to the infected computer.
Not much is known how this malware will be distributed. However, ransomware like the Fantom virus is usually dispersed by malicious email attachments. The email content employs social engineering in order to trick unsuspecting victims into downloading a file under the guise that it is something it is not. Once the file is manually executed by the user ransomware will begin to advance on the computer system and carry through it’s various functions.
At this time the ransomware will pretend to be a critical Windows update. It will display a message and a fake Windows update screen once it has infected a computer.
DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.HTML %AppData%\delback.bat [Executable_Path]\WindowsUpdate.exe [Executable_Path]\update.bat %UserProfile%\2d5s8g4ed.jpg
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ "Wallpaper" "%UserProfile%\How to decrypt your files.jpg" HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System "DisableTaskMgr" = 1
Aliases: Fantom virus, Fantom ransomware, Globe virus, Purge virus
How to remove Fantom virus
2. Run the program and start the Recuva Wizard.
3. Select All Files and click Next.
4. Select a file location. Click I’m not sure to search everywhere on your computer.
5. Click Start.
6. Select All Files with your mouse and click the Recover button. If you cannot restore your files with Recuva we recommend to try using Shadow Explorer to restore your files.
7. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
8. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
9. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
10. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
11. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
12. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
13. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
14. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
15. Click the Reboot button.
16. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
17. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
18. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
19. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know