How to remove ‘fake’ AdwCleaner (Virus Removal Guide)
There is a fake version of the free adware and potentially unwanted program removal tool titled AdwCleaner that is detected as malware by reputable security software. The fake program masquerades as a trial version of AdwCleaner, displays non-existent threats, and asks users for money ($59.99). The AdwCleaner trial is entirely bogus and if you purchase a license key, you’ll actually receive a message to download the real AdwCleaner (which the crook calls the ‘full version’).
- The fake AdwCleaner program primarily infiltrates a computer system without user knowledge or by use of deceptive marketing techniques.
- The fake AdwCleaner program is digitally signed by “WAT Software Rotterdam”, and the executable setup file is titled “AdwCleaner_Setup.exe.”
- The fake AdwCleaner program promotes a fake full version that costs $59.99.
- Once the fake AdwCleaner program is contracted the rogue program will display various pop-up messages (detailed below).
AdwCleaner – Your one stop solution for Adware
Upgrade to the full version now!
This is the trial version of AdwCleaner, it can only scan threats but cannnot remove them. To remove the found malware and clean your system, please buy the full version.
On Sale Now! Only $59,99 (Normal price: $89.99. Sale ending 2/14/2015. After purchase your serial number will be E-mailed to you, click here to enter it.
How to remove AdwCleaner
- Step 1: Uninstall ‘fake’ AdwCleaner from Windows
- Step 2: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 3: Cleanup and repair settings
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-879-0084
Step 1: Uninstall ‘fake’ AdwCleaner from Windows
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing malware and potentially unwanted programs. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to gain access to the Windows 8 Start Menu. Windows 8 may also select Programs and Features).
3. In Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
4. In the list of installed programs, search for AdwCleaner. Once the program is located, double click the program or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
5. Restart your computer.
Step 2: Scan your computer for malware
1. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Anti-Malware program after the program is installed.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to install updates if prompted to do so.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button and reboot your computer.
Step 3: Cleanup and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall AdwCleaner using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the program in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.