- Wikipedia 2, also known as ePedia, is software that typically installs in the background when you install other apps like media players and p2p software.
- Wikipedia 2 is recognized and detected as adware by reputable Antivirus applications.
- This webpage includes instructions to remove this software, malware, spyware, and viruses from your computer or mobile device.
- This webpage answers questions like “what is Wikipedia 2, how did Wikipedia 2 get on my computer, and how to remove Wikipedia 2?”
Wikipedia is a free-to-access online encyclopedia maintained by a community of volunteers and is in no way affiliated with “Wikipedia 2.” Wikipedia is free to access, free to maintain, and free to use.
Although Wikipedia is free to access, that doesn’t stop third parties from trying to monetize it for their own good; it’s like selling bottled water. Wikipedia 2 is a nonaffiliated application that masquerades as a legitimate website by using its name as their own and the entire website as their own. In doing so, the application may put user privacy at risk.
To make matters worse, Wikipedia 2 is currently detected by 22 out of 64 reputable Antivirus databases, mostly as adware but some detect it as Riskware, Malware, and Potentially Unwanted App (PUA).
Now that you know a little bit about this program’s reputation in comparison to other Antivirus programs, let’s talk about what Wikipedia 2 is and claims to be.
What is Wikipedia 2?
Wikipedia 2 is promoted as free software that changes the appearance of Wikipedia. The publisher says “Wikipedia offers great content, but it also looks very old-fashioned in terms of its appearance” and “Its interface is not always user-friendly, there are serious problems with readability, and a real disaster when it comes to aesthetics.” They claim that they “grew tired of waiting” for Wikipedia to change their appearance so they “decided to fix it all ourselves.”
The program is currently recognized as malicious or potentially malicious by a high volume of reputable Antivirus engines including AVG, Avast, Avira, ESET, F-Secure, and Kaspersky to name a few according to VirusTotal.
The application is detected as malware, adware, or riskware by reputable Antivirus software because it may associate with one of the issues below:
- The application installs without the user’s consent and knowledge.
- The application installs with known malware and viruses.
- The application displays advertisements.
- The application changes your internet browser’s settings.
- The application creates a startup task to run when you start your computer.
One of the biggest issues with the application is that it often installs automatically without knowledge from the user and often when the user is installing other software such as BitTorrent or Bluestacks.
How did Wikipedia 2 get on my computer?
Wikipedia 2 utilizes questionable and possibly deceptive advertising tactics to establish a userbase. The program is known to bundle with other third-party applications which means that it’s possible for it to automatically install in the background without your knowledge. In some cases, you may seek to download free software from the internet and these free programs may utilize marketing strategies to monetize themselves which often include the use of drive-by downloads and unethical advertising practices.
Luckily, the instructions below explain how to remove Wikipedia 2, malware, viruses, adware, and any other kind of security threat that may be on your computer or device.
Here are 6 ways to remove this program from your computer.
How to remove Wikipedia 2
1. Use Start Menu
- Right-click Windows Start Menu and select Apps & features.
- Find Wikipedia 2 in the list, click on it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
2. Use Settings
- Press Windows + I to open settings and select Apps from the tabs listed on the left pane.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Find Wikipedia 2 in the list, click on the ellipsis (3 dots) next to it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
3. Use Run Command
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command dialogue box, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK to launch the Programs and Features window.
- Find Wikipedia 2 in the list, click it, and click Uninstall when it appears above.
- Click Yes on the prompt to confirm.
4. Use uninstaller software
Although the default app removal procedures normally work to remove unwanted programs there may be cases when files are left behind, the Windows registry becomes corrupted, or other issues arise. And because of this, we recommend using third-party uninstaller software. But not just any third-party uninstaller, one that can repair your computer and make sure everything is running smoothly, such as CCleaner.
- Download and install CCleaner.
- Launch CCleaner once installed and go to the Tools tab on the left pane.
- Go to the Uninstall tab on the second pane, find Wikipedia 2 in the list, click it, and click Uninstall on the right pane.
- Once the program is uninstalled go to the Registry tab on the left pane and click Scan for Issues.
- When the scan is complete click Review selected Issues.
- A prompt will appear that asks you if you want to make a backup of the registry before making changes, it is not necessary, but we advise you to click Yes to make a backup and save it where you will remember it.
- Next, click Fix All Selected Issues and click Close.
5. Use an Antivirus
- Download and install Malwarebytes.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click Scan to scan your computer for malware and viruses.
- When finished, click the Quarantine button to remove all selected threats.
- Restart your computer to complete the process.
6. Perform a System Restore
Press Windows + S to open Windows Search, enter “create a restore point” in the text field, and click Create a restore point in the search results.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Select the recommended restore point or manually chose another one on the list and click Next to proceed.
- If you chose another restore point on the list, you will be shown other restore points, select one, and click Next.
- Verify the details and click Finish to begin the System Restore process.