How to remove xPCAP (Virus Removal Guide)
What is xPCAP?
xPCAP is a rogue program that impersonates security software and utilizes unethical distribution methods to cause malicious disturbances.
Table of Contents
xPCAP, also known as PC Accelerate Pro or xPCAP virus, is a malicious and rogue program that impersonates legitimate security software. According to VirusTotal, an online scanner operated by Google that compares files to a database of Antivirus software, xPCAP is detected by a number of legitimate Antivirus programs in the malware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) categories. Files associated with xPCAP malware have detection names including Malicious (high Confidence), Program.Unwanted.4735, and Heuristic.
xPCAP is very problematic malware. Once xPCAP is installed it will create tasks in Windows Task Manager to run every time Windows starts which can have a negative impact on system resources. Furthermore, the malware will constantly launch and display constant pop-up messages and fraudulent scan details.
To make matters worse, this malware is not a legitimate Antivirus program and will display fraudulent scan results in order to deceive victims into purchasing a license to unnecessary and malicious software.
If xPCAP malware has infected your device you may expect one or more of the symptoms listed below:
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Windows loads slower
- System disturbances and crashes
- Blue screen
- Data retention resulting in unethical telephone calls, junk mail, and email messages
- Unauthorized bank and credit card transactions
In addition to these symptoms, xPCAP malware bundles with other malware, adware, spyware, and unwanted programs that can cause supplementary issues.
xPCAP malware utilizes numerous methods to infect your computer:
- The malware may be advertised as something it is not such as an update for your computer or legitimate security program that is needed to remove false threats.
- The malware may be downloaded and installed in the background, most likely by third-party programs.
When installing free programs from the internet it is important to be alert. The malware may be offered as a custom or advanced installation method that can be declined or accepted by the computer user. In some cases, the malware may be accidentally installed although it could have been avoided.
xPCAP removal guide
The xPCAP removal guide on this page is designed to remove xPCAP malware, viruses, adware, and other threats from your computer. Follow the guide closely to ensure that this threat and other malicious files and changes have been repaired.
Removal guide contents
STEP 1: Uninstall xPCAP
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click xPCAP and click the Uninstall button.
In other versions of Windows: Open the Start menu, go to the Control Panel, go to Uninstall a Program, select/highlight the program you want to uninstall, and click Uninstall.
STEP 2: Remove malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs
1. Download and install Malwarebytes from their website. Malwarebytes will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. When Malwarebytes is installed, click the blue Scan button to begin scanning your computer for malware and potentially unwanted programs. The scan may take several minutes to complete depending on how many files are on your device.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
STEP 3: Remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
1. Download and install CCleaner Free or CCleaner Professional from their website. CCleaner will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. When CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab (this is usually the welcome screen).
3. Click the Start button to scan your computer for trackers and junk files.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.
In addition, CCleaner can be used to uninstall programs, disable programs from starting when your computer starts, disable browser plugins, and more. These features can be found in the Tools tab.