WordShark (Virus Removal Guide)
WordShark (also searched for as WordShark virus and Word Shark) is a deceptive adware type program and browser plugin that takes control of your internet browser and displays deceptive advertisements while you browse the web. WordShark is not a program you want to find installed on your computer. Once it has gained access to your PC it will create new tasks in Windows scheduler to run every time Windows starts. It will also access and collect your personal user browsing data including data about all your browsing activities and movements, bookmarks, and browser history. Once the program has obtained access to your browsing data it will use the information to generate ‘targeted’ style advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on based off your current and past browsing experiences.
What is WordShark?
WordShark is usually promoted as a word-translator program that can be used to translate words you highlight with your mouse online.
Potential WordShark malware generates deceptive and intrusive pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by WordShark are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you based off your current and past browsing habits.
WordShark adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove WordShark if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
How did WordShark get on my computer?
WordShark and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. WordShark is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that WordShark adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”WordShark overview”]
- WordShark bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- WordShark is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- WordShark injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- WordShark makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
How to remove WordShark virus
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove WordShark virus with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove WordShark
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove WordShark virus with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “WordShark” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing WordShark we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove WordShark.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove WordShark
How to uninstall WordShark
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for WordShark in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click WordShark to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WordShark in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WordShark below.[/note]
How to remove WordShark add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WordShark extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the WordShark add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the WordShark extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find WordShark in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove WordShark below.[/note]
WordShark virus removal tips
- If you do not find WordShark in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing WordShark you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411