Toomi Player is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware that utilizes unethical distribution methods to prowl onto a computer and create a considerable disturbance.
Table of Contents
According to VirusTotal, most Antivirus programs including Microsoft’s own security program, Malwarebytes, Webroot, Emsisoft, and Symantec detect files associated with the Toomi Player program as a potentially unwanted program (PUP), potentially unwanted application (PUA), trojan, adware, and malware. Toomi Player practices suspicious behavior once it has been installed which includes loading modules, opening files, and running in the background. Furthermore, Toomi Player may attempt to install other known threats including bogus Antivirus programs such as Segurazo, display pop-up advertisements while the user is browsing the web, and display notification messages on Windows desktop.
Toomi Player is self-promoted by Takoomi Ltd. and Skyling Purple (Superior Media Ltd.) as “a simple and powerful media player that provides all the options you need.” Promotions and advertisements for the Toomi Player program claim that media player supports all the popular media file types including AVI, MP3, MPEG, MP4, DIVX, WMV, MOV, FLV, and more; however, we have not tested these claims or the functionality of the program as a media player since it is a known threat.
A clear issue with Toomi Player is how it is distributed and promoted. For example, the program is one that consciously utilizes malicious advertising networks that also show advertisements for malware and other PUPS. When installing Toomi Player the user may be asked to install additional software that is known to be malicious or potentially malicious. In other terms, the alleged media player is promoted as freeware or a FreewareFile, and freeware is typically monetized through the installation of third-party programs. Because of this, Toomi Player may bundle with or introduce other malware, adware, spyware, and PUPs to a computer.
Advertisements promoting Toomi Player may also claim that the program is something it is not in order to trick users into installing it. This is a common tactic employed by malicious advertising networks and may not entirely be the fault of the publisher; however, they are conscious of this and will take the responsibility.
The program can be downloaded from the developer’s website, which does not contain a homepage or appropriate landing page, through download links in advertisements, and may be introduced to a computer by third-party software including other malware and unwanted programs.
Use the Toomi Player removal guide on this page to remove Toomi Player, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer. Although we mention that Toomi Player can be uninstalled from Windows Control Panel please be aware that uninstalling the program will not completely remove every file associated with it nor remove third party malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats that it may install with.
Removal guide contents
How to uninstall Toomi Player
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click Toomi Player and click Uninstall.
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.