WebDefence virus is a term used to describe a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that embeds a black bar on the top of a computer screen. The black bar has options to browse and search the web including a search field that says “search the web” and links to numerous websites. If the search field is used to search the web a browser window will briefly open on an unidentified website before quickly redirecting to search.yahoo.com.
The act of briefly redirecting users to an unidentified website is designed to intercept what users search for online before directing them to a legitimate search engine. The brief encounter is orchestrated quickly so that it can remain hidden from the user. In addition, the website may also drop tracking files on a visitor’s computer that can collect personal information and track all browsing activities.
A concern about browser redirects to WebDefence is that it may be caused by malware. When malware infects a computer it may install the associated browser attachment without detection. The only way to stop this kind of threat from occurring is to stay alert and follow online safety guidelines or to use a reputable security program with real-time protection against active threats such as Malwarebytes Premium.
How to remove WebDefence (Virus Removal Guide)
Follow the instructions to remove the WebDefence virus and stop unwanted browser redirects to websites that track you online and collect your personal data.
Uninstall WebDefence and other unwanted programs
Potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) may be on your computer. We advise you to uninstall questionable programs that may have been installed through Apps and Features.
1. Right-click the Start menu (Windows icon in the taskbar) and go to Apps and Features.
2. Locate the program you want to remove, click it, and then click the Uninstall button.
1. Open the Start menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program button.
3. Locate the program you want to remove, click it, and click Uninstall.
Scan your computer for malware and viruses
Malware, adware, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and viruses may be present on your computer. We recommend that you scan your computer with Malwarebytes to detect and remove known threats.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the blue Scan button to begin scanning your computer for malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs. The scan may take several minutes to complete.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot your computer.
Tracking files allow bad guys to track you online and changes to the Windows registry can cause numerous problems. Clean up your computer’s registry, remove tracking files, and remove junk files from your computer with CCleaner by Piriform.
1. Download and install CCleaner. CCleaner will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. Once CCleaner is installed, click the Take my PC Health Check button or go to Health Check > Next and follow the instructions to begin checking your PC’s health.
3. When the scan is complete, click Make it better button to remove trackers, remove junk files, disable startup apps, and more.
4. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues to check your computer for registry issues.
5. When the scan is complete, click Fix selected Issues, backup the registry, and click Fix Issue or Fix All Issues.