Sublime Text is a text editor for OS X, Windows, and Linux operating systems. Sublime Text may be downloaded and used for free but you must purchase a “per-user” license for continued use. This program is mostly considered safe to use; However, there are known malicious versions of Sublime Text as well as malicious distributors that may trick you into installing malware.
If you are not sure if your version of Sublime Text is safe we recommend scanning your computer with Malwarebytes or HitmanPro to ensure that there are no malicious or potentially malicious files on your computing device.
Another suggestion is to scan the executable file on virustotal.com before installing the program to obtain an analysis.
The known malicious versions of Sublime Text are typically distributed by malicious advertising networks and on websites that typically fit the bill of a suspicious site. The websites may host streaming videos, adult content, prohibited content, or content that is not considered mainstream or suitable for popular search engines like Google.
Reputable Antivirus databases detect known malicious versions of Sublime Text as adware and malware. This is most likely due to how the program is distributed and what the program does once it is installed.
When Sublime Text is installed, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Excessive notifications
- Modified browser settings such as the homepage URL, new tab page, and/or search settings
- Slow and sluggish browser and/or computer
One of the biggest concerns with Sublime Text malware is that it may bundle with or be advertised deceptively alongside other known threats including adware, spyware, rogue programs, computer viruses, and more. Since this is the case, your computer may be infected with other threats that may pose a threat to your security and privacy and we strongly recommend that you use the instructions on this page to remove all malicious files from your computer and automatically repair your settings.
How to remove Sublime Text (Virus Removal Tutorial)
Step 1: Remove Sublime Text with ESET Smart Security
Use ESET Smart Security to remove Sublime Text, malware, and potentially unwanted applications (also known as potentially unwanted programs) from your computer and mobile device.
ESET Smart Security is a premium internet security program with antivirus technology, multi-platform protection, privacy protection, and other superior internet security features. With ESET Smart Security you can protect your Windows, Mac, and Android devices with a single license.
1. Download and install ESET Smart Security. *When installing ESET Smart Security, select the option to enable detection of potentially unwanted applications (if applicable).
2. Once ESET Smart Security is installed, open the program and navigate to the Computer scan tab.
ESET Smart Security may automatically update and perform an initial scan. The ‘initial scan’ takes longer to complete than a normal computer or removable media scan. It is recommended to perform a second scan following the initial scan.
3. Click Scan your computer to scan all local disks and clean threats.
Step 2: Clean up and repair settings with CCleaner Professional
Use CCleaner Professional to remove junk files and trackers, preserve Windows registry, and disable browser plugins that may affect the way your system and browser operates.
2. Once CCleaner Professional is installed, open the program and navigate to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner Professional can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.
More removal and repair options
ESET Smart Security is one of the top Antivirus and internet security program on the market and CCleaner Professional is arguably the only respected Windows System Utility program; However, in rare cases, even the best Antivirus program can miss small trace files and potential threats.
Remove malware with HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is a powerful antimalware program that detects and removes known malicious files, trackers, and registry entries related to viruses, rootkits, trojans, ransomware, adware, worms, spyware, and other malware. What makes HitmanPro.Alert stand out is that it will remove a large sample of malicious or potentially malicious files than most antimalware and antivirus programs.
- Download and install HitmanPro.Alert.
- Once HitmanPro.Alert is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button.
- When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button.
Uninstall a program
In some cases, it is possible to uninstall a potentially unwanted program from the Windows Control Panel but this will not remove malware or potentially unwanted programs from your computer.
- Right-click the start menu on the taskbar and select Apps and Features.
- Locate the program, select it, and click the Uninstall button that appears next to it when selected.
Remove a browser extension or add-on
A browser extension or add-on may be causing an issue with your browsing experience (browser redirects, pop-up advertisements, surveillance). Removing the browser extension will typically repair browser settings and return them to normal but it will not remove malware or potentially unwanted programs from your computer.
- Run Chrome.
- Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
- Locate the extension and click the Remove button.
- Run Firefox.
- Open the menu and go to Add-ons.
- Locate the extension and click the Remove button.