How to remove Searchpowerapp.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Searchpowerapp.com (also called Searchpowerapp.com virus or Searchpowerapp hijacker) is a browser hijacker infection, known as a redirect virus, in the SearchDimension family of browser hijackers that uses malicious browser extensions including the Power App extension to forcibly take control of an affected web browser. Once a malicious browser extension is installed the Searchpowerapp.com hijacker modifies the startup page, new tab page, and search engine settings. When this happens, the affected browser(s) will start up on searchpowerapp.com and redirect to the website when a search is performed in the address bar or Omni box.
Searches performed by the web browser user in the address bar will initially be intercepted and redirected to http://searchpowerapp.com/ which is an insecure website without SSL certification (HTTPS), meaning a visitor’s data is at risk of being collected and tracked. The web browser will then forward the search from the intercepting website to a proper search engine such as search.yahoo.com where results are displayed.
Searchpowerapp.com acts as an interceptor between the user and the proper search engine. This is primarily done by malicious parties to collect and track people’s browsing activities. Information collected by the website can then be used to develop and maintain a marketing profile and may also be sold or shared with third-parties. Information that is acquired by third-parties may be used for commercial purposes or scams. The use of the website may result in unwanted email messages, telephone calls, and junk mail.
To make matters worse, browser extensions native to the website also have permission to perform tasks that allow them to read a user’s browser history and online data on the websites they visit.
Additionally, browser extensions used by the website are also known to bundle with or be advertised alongside additional malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs that cause provide other problems and security risks. Due to this fact, it is recommended to scan an infected computer with reputable antivirus tools including Malwarebytes Premium to ensure that malicious software and corrupted files have been properly removed.
How to remove Searchpowerapp.com
The native searchpowerapp.com browser extension can be manually removed from Google Chrome and other web browsers through browser settings. For example, go to Settings > More tools > Extensions in Google Chrome. However, removing the native browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other potential threats from an infected computer. To completely remove Searchpowerapp.com and other threats we recommend scanning your computer with reputable security software known to detect and remove the browser hijacker and remaining malware, adware, spyware, and viruses. Follow the removal instructions below to remove Searchpowerapp.com and other threats from an infected computer.
1. Download and install Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Internet Security, or Kaspersky Total Security to remove Searchpowerapp.com.
2. Once Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or Total Security is installed, open the program and click Scan.
3. Click Run Scan to proceed with the scan.
4. When the scan is complete a pop-up notification may appear, check to Apply to all objects of this type and then click the Disinfect and restart the computer button. A second scan will appear before the system automatically restarts.
5. Next, download and install Malwarebytes to perform a secondary-scan and remove remaining files, malware, adware, spyware, and potentially unwanted programs.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
8. Reboot the computer.