Did you receive an email message that says someone hacked your OS and got full access to your account? Does the email message contain your past or present password? There’s no need to worry, it’s just a scam. However, receiving the email message is like an automatic security update concerning your sensitive information and there are steps you should take to make sure your accounts remain private.
If you received an email message that says that a hacker hacked your computer or device (and recorded you during an intimate moment through your camera), it is likely that your information was leaked online following a data breach that occurred at a third-party location such as Adobe, Experian, Myspace, and so on. Scammers were able to obtain your email address, password at the time of the breach, and other information but it does not mean that they have used it to access your account. Your name is basically just one name on a list of hundreds of thousands (or millions) of names. This scam is much more wide-scale and designed to make money. Focusing on hacking a random person’s account contains more risks and would take much longer than sending 800,000 people a frightening message.
It is strongly advised to take steps to ensure your online privacy. Changing your password is a good way to start, but there is more that can be done to avoid a bad situation in the future. Follow these best practices to secure your online accounts:
- Create a unique password for all the accounts you access online. Avoid reusing the same password for more than one account.
- Use a password manager such as 1Password, LastPass, or Roboform if you have trouble remembering passwords.
- Use special characters such as !@#$& to make your passwords harder for people to crack.
- Use multi-factor authentication (MFA) such as two-factor authentication (2FA) whenever possible to add an extra layer of security.
- Use a secure email service that provides end-to-end encryption such as Tutanota or ProtonMail.
- Use Antivirus software such as Microsoft’s built-in Windows Defender Antivirus that is free and better than a lot of Antivirus programs on the market, especially when combined with Malwarebytes.
Email message example:
Subject: Your account has been hacked! You need to unlock.
This is important information for you!
Some months ago I hacked your OS and got full access to your account [Email address]
On day of hack your account [Email address] has password: [Password]
So, you can change the password, yes.. Or already changed… But my malware intercepts it every time.
How I made it:
In the software of the router, through which you went online, was a vulnerability. I used it…
If you interested you can read about it: CVE-2019-1663 – a vulnerability in the web-based management interface of the Cisco routers.
I just hacked this router and placed my malicious code on it.
When you went online, my trojan was installed on the OS of your device.
After that, I made a full backup of your disk (I have all your address book, history of viewing sites, all files, phone numbers and addresses of all your contacts).
A month ago, I wanted to lock your device and ask for a not big amount of btc to unlock.
But I looked at the sites that you regularly visit, and I was shocked by what I saw!!!
I’m talk you about sites for adults.
I want to say – you are a BIG pervert. Your fantasy is shifted far away from the normal course!
And I got an idea….
I made a screenshot of the adult sites where you have fun (do you understand what it is about, huh?).
After that, I made a screenshot of your joys (using the camera of your device) and glued them together.
Turned out amazing! You are so spectacular!
I’m know that you would not like to show these screenshots to your friends, relatives or colleagues.
I think $643 is a very, very small amount for my silence.
Besides, I have been spying on you for so long, having spent a lot of time!
Pay ONLY in Bitcoins!
My BTC wallet: 179UHmZhfhaRg1mMTHjgjR1VXP514YzZj
You do not know how to use bitcoins?
Enter a query in any search engine: “how to replenish btc wallet”.
It’s extremely easy
For this payment I give you two days (48 hours).
As soon as this letter is opened, the timer will work.
After payment, my virus and dirty screenshots with your enjoys will be self-destruct automatically.
If I do not receive from you the specified amount, then your device will be locked, and all your contacts will receive a screenshots with your “enjoys”.
I hope you understand your situation.
– Do not try to find and destroy my virus! (All your data, files and screenshots is already uploaded to a remote server)
– Do not try to contact me (this is impossible, sender’s address was randomly generated)
– Various security services will not help you; formatting a disk or destroying a device will not help, since your data is already on a remote server.
P.S. You are not my single victim. so, I guarantee you that I will not disturb you again after payment!
This is the word of honor hacker
I also ask you to regularly update your antiviruses in the future. This way you will no longer fall into a similar situation.
Do not hold evil! I just good do my job.