How to remove Restoro (Virus Removal Tutorial)
What is Restoro?
Restoro is promoted as a free Windows optimization and registry cleaner that can remove viruses and malware as well as optimize a computer. However, Restoro is not free to use and Antivirus programs recognize Restoro as malware or a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) which means that they will remove it or block it from gaining access to a victim’s computer. Also, Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners like Restoro because “serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities.”
There are too many security concerns with Restoro and it is mostly advised to avoid this program. Since this program provides a security threat, we have provided information to remove Restoro and other known malware from Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Some concerns with the program are listed below:
- The distributor participates in unethical and/or misleading marketing practices
- The program installs/bundles with malware.
- The program is difficult to remove and will not uninstall.
- The program makes a computer perform slower.
- The program causes other functionality issues.
- The program raises privacy and other security concerns.
One major thing I noticed with Restoro is that it claims legitimate files on a computer are malicious or affect the computer’s performance even though that is false. Many of the files or programs detected by Restoro won’t cause performance issues and are not malicious. For example, Restoro detected legitimate files associated with safe programs such as Microsoft Word and list them as some sort of problem that can be resolved if you buy the program. This can be seen as a misleading and deceptive marketing practice, especially since it’s not free to remove the files detected by Restoro unless you overpay for a one-time repair or repair with suspicious telephone support.
How did Restoro get onto my computer?
There are a couple of ways that Restoro can get onto your computer. Restoro can be downloaded from the developer’s website and from other sites and it can bundle with other programs such as freeware that do not properly disclose that it will be installed.
When installing free software, or really any software in general, it is important to pay close attention to license agreements and what happens during the installation process. If you’re installing software and notice suspicious Custom or Advanced installation options, it would be wise to avoid the software you are installing. The software may be dangerous.
Follow these steps to remove Restoro:
- Step 1: Use Malwarebytes to Scan for Malware and PUPs
- Step 2: Uninstall Programs From Your Computer
- Step 3: Use HitmanPro to Remove Remaining Trace Files
- Step 4: Use CCleaner to Clean Your System, Maintain Browser Settings, and Update Programs
This Restoro removal tutorial was published to provide removal steps that will remove Restoro and any traces of malware on your computer. It is designed to be easy to follow, yet detailed to help you eradicate every single spec of malware on your computer.
Step 1: Use Malwarebytes to Scan for Malware and PUPs
Use Malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP). Malwarebytes will scan your computer and get rid of malware including adware, browser hijackers, ransomware, spyware, Trojans, and more.
Why should you buy the premium version?
Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that automatically protects your computer and other devices from viruses, spyware, and malware. With Malwarebytes Premium you can stay ahead and safely browse the web with confidence.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as mb3-setup-1878.1878-188.8.131.5239.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
Step 2: Uninstall Programs From Your Computer
Once you have scanned your computer with Malwarebytes, check to see if there are Potentially Unwanted Programs or Malware that you can manually uninstall from your computer.
1. Right-click the Start menu and go to Apps and Features.
2. Highlight the program you want to remove by clicking on it, then click the Uninstall button that appears. Is there a suspicious program on your computer? Research it online, read user reviews, and decide whether or not it should be removed.
Step 3: Use HitmanPro to Remove Remaining Trace Files
Use HitmanPro to scan your computer for remaining trace files. HitmanPro will scan your computer and get rid of malicious files and tracking cookies.
1. Download HitmanPro. Fill out the information on their website and download the executable file.
Why should you buy the full version?
HitmanPro is a little different than your usual security program. It goes beyond simply removing viruses, it completely eradicates all traces and remnants of the infection. HitmanPro is also designed to run alongside your Antivirus program which makes it a match up great with Malwarebytes Premium.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as HitmanPro.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
Step 4: Use CCleaner to Clean Your System, Maintain Browser Settings, and Update Programs
Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files and temporary files that can remain on your system, maintain browser settings that may have been modified by malware, and update software (if needed) in order to keep your computer up to date with the latest security patches.
Why should you buy the professional version?
CCleaner Professional has the power of real-time automation, so your computer always stays clean, safe, and fast. CCleaner Pro bundles privacy protection, system cleaning, and more with outstanding customer service.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as ccsetup556.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
4. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
5. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
6. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
7. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
8. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
10. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
11. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
12. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.