How to remove What Color (Virus Removal Guide)
- What Color is a Chrome browser extension that changes the background color of a webpage you visit.
- The extension utilizes unethical and deceptive marketing practices.
- The guide on this page includes instructions to remove this browser extension, malware, adware, and viruses from your computer or mobile device.
- This page answers What is What Color, How did What Color get on my computer, and how to remove What Color.
There are many great extensions in the Chrome Web Store that you can use to customize Google Chrome; You can change the background color, text color, text size, and more. And many of these extensions look professional, have a lot of users, have real-looking reviews, and ultimately submit a legitimate presence.
However, there are also questionable browser extensions with suspicious publishers and publisher names like the “what color” extension that is published by penelopekthompkinss2x6.
What is What Color?
The What Color extension is promoted as a free tool offered by firstname.lastname@example.org that allows you to change the background color of a webpage you visit. The description for the extension in the Chrome Web Store says “apply different colors to webpage background and find which looks perfect.”
The extension provides you with a small assortment of colors allowing you to cycle through them one by one and change the background color of standard webpages you visit.
How did What Color get on my computer?
What Color is known to utilize aggressive marketing procedures in order to attach itself to your web browser. It uses aggressive and deceptive pop-up advertisements like the one pictured below and is known to automatically install when you install other programs.
Luckily, the instructions below explain how to remove What Color, malware, viruses, adware, and any other kind of security threat that may be on your computer or device.
Here are 6 ways to remove this program from your computer.
How to remove What Color
1. Use Google Chrome
- Right-click on the ellipsis (3 dots), click More Tools and click Extensions.
- Find What Color in the list and click the Remove button next to it.
- Click Remove to confirm.
2. Use Start Menu
- Right-click Windows Start Menu and select Apps & features.
- Find What Color in the list, click on it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
3. Use Settings
- Press Windows + I to open settings and select Apps from the tabs listed on the left pane.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Find What Color in the list, click on the ellipsis (3 dots) next to it, and click Uninstall from the flyout menu.
- Click Uninstall on the prompt to confirm.
4. Use Run Command
- Press Windows + R to launch the Run command dialogue box, type appwiz.cpl in the text field, and click OK to launch the Programs and Features window.
- Find What Color in the list, click it, and click Uninstall when it appears above.
- Click Yes on the prompt to confirm.
5. Use uninstaller software
Although the default app removal procedures normally work to remove unwanted programs there may be cases when files are left behind, the Windows registry becomes corrupted, or other issues arise. And because of this, we recommend using third-party uninstaller software. But not just any third-party uninstaller, one that can repair your computer and make sure everything is running smoothly, such as CCleaner.
- Download and install CCleaner.
- Launch CCleaner once installed and go to the Tools tab on the left pane.
- Go to Browser Plugins on the second pane, find What Color in the list, click it, and click Disable, then Delete on the right pane.
- Next, go to the Uninstall tab on the second pane, find What Color in the list, click it, and click Uninstall on the right pane.
- Once the program is eradicated go to the Registry tab on the left pane and click Scan for Issues.
- When the scan is complete click Review selected Issues.
- A prompt will appear that asks you if you want to make a backup of the registry before making changes, it is not necessary, but we advise you to click Yes to make a backup and save it where you will remember it.
- Next, click Fix All Selected Issues and click Close.
6. Perform a System Restore
Press Windows + S to open Windows Search, enter “create a restore point” in the text field, and click Create a restore point in the search results.
- Click the System Restore button.
- Select the recommended restore point or manually chose another one on the list and click Next to proceed.
- If you chose another restore point on the list, you will be shown other restore points, select one, and click Next.
- Verify the details and click Finish to begin the System Restore process.
Issues removing What Color
If you are still having issues removing this program and/or if you suspect your computer is infected with malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs (PUP) we advise you to use Malwarebytes to scan and remove the threats from your machine. Malwarebytes offers a free version that will scan and remove malware, a free trial of their premium software, a premium Antimalware program, security applications for mobile devices, and more.
- Download and install Malwarebytes.
- Launch Malwarebytes and click Scan to scan your computer for malware and viruses.
- When finished, click the Quarantine button to remove all selected threats.
- Restart your computer to complete the process.