How to remove Webresults.info (Virus Removal Guide)
Webresults.info is a website often used by potentially unwanted programs and rogue browser add-ons and extensions to display search results. Third-party extensions and programs initially intercept the searched term using their own website and then redirect the infected internet browser to https://webresults.info/search.php?q= where search results and advertisements are displayed.
Some browser extensions and unwanted programs replace the affected browser’s homepage, new tab page, and default search engine with Webresults.info or their own website. Due to this, searches performed in the address bar will redirect to Webresults.info and new browser tabs will open on the site as well.
The purpose of the Webresults.info infection is to collect user data and garnish revenue from advertisements. Data collection is rapidly growing and becoming a problem for many internet users who vaule their personal data. Personal data is oftentimes collected and sold and/or shared with unknown parties for unknown reasons which could have unlawful results including identify theft, fraud, or extortion. If your personal data gets in the wrong hands you can fall victim to cyber-attacks and become the target of numerous scams. The best solution to stop your personal data from being obtained by malicious and unethical third-parties while browsing the web is to use a VPN such as NordVPN to encrypt your connection and put a wall between you and hackers.
How did Webresults.info infect my computer?
Browser attachments and unwanted programs used to modify browser settings can usually be downloaded from the developer’s website or the browser’s web store such as Google Chrome’s Chrome Web Store. However, this is rarely the case when it comes to browser extensions associated with unwanted browser redirections, or ‘redirect viruses.’
Add-ons and extensions associated with ‘redirect viruses’ are typically advertised by malicious advertising networks that also serve advertisements promoting malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) which could mean that a computer and internet browser infected with the Webresults.info hijacker could also be infected with other malicious threats.
The Webresults.info hijacker may also bundle with or be installed by third-party programs including malicious download managers and free programs. When installing free programs, the browser extension may be offered as an Advanced or Custom installation and the user may be able to decline or accept an offer to install the program. It is important to be alert when installing anything from the internet to avoid accidentally installing something harmful.
How to remove Webresults.info
The majority of rogue and/or unwanted browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing browser extensions through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove the Webresults.info virus and malware from any computer.
How to remove malicious browser extensions
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.