What is SearchMe?
SearchMe is an internet browser extension for Google Chrome that is described as a free tool that can help you search, shop, and download online by easily identifying harmful websites. However, the SearchMe browser extension does not work as described and may pose a threat and put your privacy at risk.
There are several symptoms you may notice if SearchMe is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Browser redirects
- Promotional search content
- Declining browser performance and functionality
Due to these factors and several others, the SearchMe extension is recognized as potentially malicious by Antivirus vendors, cybersecurity researchers, and enthusiast.
Additionally, the SearchMe extension is known to be a risk to your privacy because of the actions it can perform once installed. For example, the extension has permission to read and change all the data on a number of websites including Google, Yahoo, c1vk.online, and quickgosearch.com, read your browsing history, and perform other actions you may not be aware of. To find a complete list of permissions launch Google Chrome, open the menu, go to More tools > Extensions, and click the Details button near the SearchMe extension to find more information.
The SearchMe extension and other internet browser extensions like it have a bad reputation and provide a large risk. It is strongly recommended to avoid installing unnecessary browser extensions and remove any if found installed. This page contains instructions to remove the SearchMe extension from Google Chrome and scan your computer for malware using reputable Antivirus software such as Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.
How to Remove SearchMe
This SearchMe removal tutorial was designed to provide comprehensive removal steps that will remove the SearchMe extension and all traces of malware from your computer. It is designed to be easy to follow, yet detailed to help you eradicate every single spec of malware on your computer.
Step 1: Use Malwarebytes to Scan for Malware and PUPs
Malwarebytes will remove known malware and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) from your computer and mobile device.
Why should you buy Malwarebytes Premium?
Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that automatically protects your computer and other devices from viruses, spyware, and malware. With Malwarebytes Premium you can stay ahead and safely browse the web with confidence.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as mb3-setup-1878.1878-220.127.116.1139.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
Step 2: Use HitmanPro to Remove Remaining Trace Files
HitmanPro will remove remaining trace files, malware, tracking files, and repair settings.
1. Download HitmanPro. Fill out the information on their website and download the executable file.
Why should you buy the full version of HitmanPro?
HitmanPro is a little different than your usual security program. It goes beyond simply removing viruses, it completely eradicates all traces and remnants of the infection. HitmanPro is also designed to run alongside your Antivirus program which makes it a match up great with Malwarebytes Premium.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as HitmanPro.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
Step 3: Use CCleaner to Clean Your System, Maintain Browser Settings, and Update Programs
Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files and temporary files that can remain on your system, maintain browser settings that may have been modified by malware, and update software (if needed) in order to keep your computer up to date with the latest security patches.
Why should you buy CCleaner Professional?
CCleaner Professional has the power of real-time automation, so your computer always stays clean, safe, and fast. CCleaner Pro bundles privacy protection, system cleaning, and more with outstanding customer service.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as ccsetup556.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
4. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
5. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
6. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
7. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
8. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
10. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
11. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
12. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.
Step 4: Remove SearchMe Extension
Remove the SearchMe extension from Google Chrome.
1. Launch Google Chrome.
2. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
3. Find the SearchMe extension and click the Remove button.