What is Reason Antivirus and how do I remove it?
Reason Antivirus, previously Reason Core, is a security suite compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7. The free version called Reason Essential allegedly provides a virus and malware scanner, real-time protection, and threat removal. The premium version named Reason Premium allegedly provides additional ransomware protection, unwanted software blocker, secure browsing, tracking protection, webcam protection, and microphone protection.
Reason Antivirus has a bad online reputation and because of this, it is not trustworthy. Pcmag.com noted that it has zero results from independent labs, the lowest scores in all their hands-on tests, flags components of competing products as malware, and offers no phishing protection.
Furthermore, during our tests, Reason Antivirus was only able to detect 4 out of 500 threats. The removal process of the 4 threats was a very long process, taking almost 1 hour to complete.
Another problem with Reason Antivirus is how the program is advertised. For example, Reason Antivirus may utilize malicious advertising networks in order to be promoted across various networks. This means that they’re making money by bundling or being promoted by malware and unwanted programs.
Follow these steps to completely remove Reason Antivirus and other malicious files from your computer:
1. Right-click the Start Menu and go to Apps and Features.
2. Find Reason Antivirus in the list of installed programs, click it with your mouse, and click the Uninstall button. This will uninstall the program, but it won’t actually be removed from your computer.
3. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
7. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.