OZIP is detected as a computer virus by many reputable sources and referred to as the “OZIP virus.” Popular web browsers including Google Chrome will block and restrict OZIP and the executable file used to launch the program’s installer from being downloaded. When this occurs the browser will say “Failed – Virus detected” and the option to download the program becomes disabled.
OZIP is promoted as a safe, fast, and free compression tool that can be used to compress and decompress files on your computer. In reality, OZIP is a malicious tool that will cause many problems if it is installed. OZIP will first change existing browser settings and replace the homepage, new tab page, and search engine with search.ozipcompression.com. When this occurs, all web searches performed in the address bar will redirect to search.ozipcompression.com and the web browser will open on the page.
OZIP Distribution Method
OZIP can be manually downloaded from a variety of sources; However, the malicious program usually bundles with other programs without user consent. This usually happens if the user downloads a program or file from a questionable source. Downloading items like freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, if you download it from a malicious site it can lead to a computer infection.
If the computer user has previously downloaded a malicious program, OZIP malware might have automatically downloaded in the background without disclosure. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update or something else. Malicious publishers sometimes hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances OZIP may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
|Names||OZIP, OZIP virus|
|Detection Categories||Computer Virus, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to search.ozipcompression.com and other sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Path||C:\Program Files (x86)
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
OZIP Virus Removal Guide
This OZIP virus removal guide will help you remove OZIP, malware, and other threats from your computer and browser.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall OZIP and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall OZIP and unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for OZIP Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled OZIP, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.