How to remove OneUpdater (Virus Removal Guide)
This page provides instructions to remove OneUpdater and other threats from your computer including viruses and malware.
Table of Contents
What is OneUpdater?
OneUpdater (also searched for as OneUpdater virus) is a fake system utility tool for Microsoft Windows that is detected in several computer infection categories including malware, adware, and the potentially unwanted program (PUP/PUA) category.
OneUpdater may be difficult to locate on a computer. Executable icons and shortcuts may be located on Windows desktop, Windows taskbar, and in the start menu; However, when the shortcuts are activated nothing visually occurs. This is because the malware will only appear in the taskbar tray and will periodically show pop-up notification messages from the taskbar.
When the potentially unwanted program is installed it will create a task to run every time Windows starts and when Windows starts the program will automatically scan the computer. This can use a large number of system resources which can lead to problems with the integrity of the computer system.
How did OneUpdater get on my computer?
The malware may trick users into installing it by utilizing unethical marketing practices to promote itself across numerous websites and during the installation process of free programs. When installing free programs it is always advised to use caution and uncheck custom or advanced installation methods to avoid installing programs you want to avoid. In addition, advertisements that promote the program may be deceptive and misleading. Advertisements may promote the program as something it is not such as a flash player update to dupe internet users into installing the malware and other threats.
How to remove OneUpdater
The OneUpdater removal guide on this page will remove OneUpdater, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer. Although we mention that this program can be manually uninstalled following our instructions please be advised that uninstalling the program will not remove every file associated with it nor will it remove malware, adware, spyware, and other threats. We advise you to remove malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs using the instructions on this page once the program is uninstalled. The software recommended in this guide is tested and free to use although you may also purchase the full version of the product to obtain real-time protection. Real-time protection stops malware from infecting your device and allows you to safely browse the web.
Removal guide contents
STEP 1: Uninstall OneUpdater
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click OneUpdater and click the Uninstall button.
In other versions of Windows: Open the Start menu, go to the Control Panel, go to Uninstall a Program, select/highlight the program you want to uninstall, and click Uninstall.
STEP 2: Remove malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs
1. Download and install Malwarebytes from their website. Malwarebytes will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. When Malwarebytes is installed, click the blue Scan button to begin scanning your computer for malware and potentially unwanted programs. The scan may take several minutes to complete depending on how many files are on your device.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
STEP 3: Remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
1. Download and install CCleaner Free or CCleaner Professional from their website. CCleaner will seamlessly guide you through the quick installation process.
2. When CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab (this is usually the welcome screen).
3. Click the Start button to scan your computer for trackers and junk files.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.
In addition, CCleaner can be used to uninstall programs, disable programs from starting when your computer starts, disable browser plugins, and more. These features can be found in the Tools tab.