What is Nix Player and how to remove it?
Learn what Nix Player is and how to remove it from your computer. Also, remove associated viruses and malware with free our instructions.
What is Nix Player?
Nix Player (also called NIX Video Player) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware that displays advertisements and has the ability to automatically open browser windows in the background to display sponsored search content and ads. The setup process for the program can also introduce your computer to other unwanted programs, malware, and threats without your consent.
To make matters worse, Nix Player is known to bundle with other unwanted programs, adware, spyware, and malware that can cause additional issues. Cooperating threats that the program bundles with can establish a connection to remote sites in order to track your data, display advertisements while you browse the web or on Windows desktop, and modify your browser and computer settings to show you sponsored search results.
Another concern with Nix Player is that it is advertised on websites that usually display malicious advertisements and host malware. If you found Nix Player installed on your computer or notice advertisements for the program while you browse the web it is likely that your computer was introduced to other threats such as Free FLV Player. Other threats should be eliminated immediately before they put your personal information and computer functionality at risk.
How did Nix Player get on my computer?
Nix Player utilizes aggressive and deceptive marketing tactics in order to persuade you to install it. Advertisements that promote Nix Player might claim that the program is necessary to trick you to download and install it. As shown in the image below, a full page advertisement says “Latest version of NIX Video Player is required to encode and/or decode (play) audio and video files in high quality.” This deceptive message is designed to make it sound like the program is needed to view videos in high quality on your computer even though it is not.
If you come across an advertisements promoting Nix Player you can chose to manually and voluntarily download and install Nix Player. If you download and install Nix Player via an advertisement it can cause the program to bundle with other unknown programs.
Furthermore, if you download and install other freeware that is not Nix Player you might be given the option to install Nix Player during the setup process. Freeware download managers often offer Nix Player as a custom or advanced installation option and give you a chance to accept or decline to install Nix Player and other programs. If you do not opt out from installing the program it will begin to install in the background while you install said freeware. The way that the custom installation is presented can also be complex and arranged to trap you into installing programs you chose not to install. It’s advised to be alert when installing free programs from the internet and to keep an eye out for custom installation presentations to avoid any confusion and security risks from reaching your computer.
How to remove Nix Player
Scan your computer for malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
2. To install the program, click the file you just downloaded. It can usually be located in the Download folder.
3. A window that says “Welcome to the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard” will appear. Click Agree and Install to begin the installation. Once complete, click Finish.
4. Now the Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
5. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
6. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
7. Next, Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files.
8. Once installed, open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
9. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
10. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
11. Click the Reboot button.
Uninstall Nix Player from your computer
1. On most versions of the Windows Operating System, right click the start menu (bottom left corner of the task bar) and go to Apps and Features.
2. Find Nix Player in the list of installed programs, click it with your mouse, and click the Uninstall button that appears to uninstall Nix Player.
How to stay protected against future infections
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time potection features that can block malicious files before they get onto your computer. The two programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals in real-time; disallowing threats and hackers from getting onto your machine.
The guidelines listed below are a great way to help you maintain a safe environment and ensure that the files on your computer are intact.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- Avoid visiting fake “spyware removal” blogs and websites that promote “spyware removal software.” These are usually malicious websites designed to phish your personal information, infect your computer with a rogue program and trick you into paying for rogue “spyware removal software.”
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know