How to remove Mystique (Virus Removal Guide)
Mystique is a questionable browser extension that modifies browser settings and gathers personal data including physical location. When the Mystique extension is installed it will replace the startup page, new tab page, and search provider with a new website. Searches performed in the address bar and from the new website will then redirect to another website such as webresults.info where search results are displayed.
Mystique is ‘self-promoted’ as an extension for Google Chrome and other compatible web browsers that provides new tab features including a clock, todo list, weather, bookmarks, and more. Although some people may find this useful, these tools are readily available on most internet browsers by default.
The Mystique extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change your data on www.resourceapp.com and other websites, replace the page you see when opening a new tab, read your browsing history, and detect your physical location. The extension also has other permissions that allow it to modify the startup page and search settings, as well as gather user data while in incognito mode.
These are some symptoms that may occur when the Mystique extension is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Pop-up notifications
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search engine
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Other suspicious browser extensions installed
- Other suspicious software installed
- Slower browser performance
- Slow and sluggish PC
To add more, the Mystique extension employs unethical, deceptive, and aggressive marketing practices that include using malicious advertising networks to advertise themselves. Websites and advertisements that advertise the extension may claim that the extension is something it is not and/or attempt to force users to install the extension and other programs without consent.
Furthermore, the use of malicious advertising networks by the extension also means that it may bundle with or be advertised alongside third-party malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and other threats. Third-party threats provide even greater security and privacy risks. It is recommended to scan your computer immediately to remove such threats.
How to remove Mystique
Like most browser extensions, the Mystique browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing the browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove Mystique and malware from any computer.
How to remove the Mystique extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.