Media Converter Online Promos
Media Converter Online Promos is an unwanted browser extension that displays pop-up advertisements and causes other issues for internet users.
Table of Contents
What is Media Converter Online Promos?
Media Converter Online Promos is a browser extension compatible with Google Chrome and other popular web browsers that is self-described as a tool that allows the user to convert different media formats online for free. Despite the fact that the extension may appear to be an innocuous tool when the Media Converter Online Promos extension is installed it will display pop-up and pop-under advertisements, collect user data including browsing history, and cause other issues.
The extension displays a variety of advertisements including pop-under ads that take up an entire browser window that say “mediaconverter online advertisement” on the bottom left corner (pictured below).
The primary function of the Media Converter Online Promos extension is to display advertisements and collect user data for undisclosed purposes. Data collection by the extension is permitted because it has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read your browsing history, even if you are in incognito mode or using a third-party anonymization tool.
Bundles with malware and viruses
One of the biggest issues with the Media Converter Online Promos extension is how it is distributed and promoted. The extension is typically spread via advertisements generated by malicious advertising networks that also spread malware, adware, spyware, and computer viruses through advertisements. This is a concern because it could mean that other threats may be present on your machine if Media Converter Online Promos is installed.
Furthermore, the Media Converter Online Promos extension may be promoted as something it is not in order to trick users to install it. Aggressive advertisements that force users to install the extension may also be used. The advertisements usually direct you to the developer’s website or Google Web Store.
How to remove Media Converter Online Promos (Virus Removal Guide)
The Media Converter Online Promos browser extension can be manually removed through internet browser settings. However, removing the browser extension within browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the Media Converter Online Promos extension and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
How to remove the Media Converter Online Promos extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.