My Search Plus is an internet browser extension for Google Chrome that boldly claims to provide predictive search, relevant search results, and smooth search experience.
When the My Search Plus extension is installed, it will change your search settings to mysearchplus.co. This allows the extension to track what you search for online and then redirect you to a third party search engine such as Bing or Yahoo where it can generate revenue from advertisements and sponsored search results.
The extension can also read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read your browsing history. With these permissions, the My Search Plus extension can basically gather personally identifiable information (PII) about you and sell or share it with third parties for unknown reasons.
In addition to being a threat to your privacy, the My Search Plus extension is usually advertised by malicious advertising networks and on websites that host or show deceptive advertisements. This is a major security concern because it could mean that your computer was introduced to malware and other threats that should be removed immediately.
How to remove My Search Plus
The instructions below will help you remove the My Search Plus extension from Google Chrome and stop browser redirects to mysearchplus.co and other websites.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon (3 dot icon) and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Click the Remove button next to the My Search Plus extension.
3. Next, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer for malware and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install Malwarebytes, double-click the executable file you just downloaded, or open the file from your browser window. The file can usually be found in the Downloads folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. When Malwarebytes is installed, launch the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard (or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button).
7. When the scan been completed, click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Downloads folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.