FutureGames adware is an intrusive ad-serving program that aggressively displays continuous pop-up advertisements in a victim’s web browser after it has been installed. If a computer is infected with FutureGames adware the user will notice pop-up advertisements in the web browser that say “Ads by FutureGames” or “FutureGames Ads” on them.
FutureGames ads will arrive on an infected computer system desktop or inside the web browser window. FutureGames ads can be served across multiple internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and other web browsers. Ads can be shown as generic pop-ups, pop-under ads that take up an entire browser window or browser tab, in-text advertisements that appear when you hover your mouse over hyperlinked text on a webpage, or in-image ads that appear when you hover your mouse over an image or product on a website like Walmart.com, ebay.com, Kayack.com, and others.
FutureGames Distribution Method
Like most common adware infections, FutureGames adware primarily bundles with other programs that are downloaded by the user with out without their consent and knowledge. The most common way this happens is by downloading a program or file from a questionable distributor. Downloading items online such as freeware and torrent files will result in potentially unwanted programs infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy, downloading it from a malicious site will lead to infection.
If the computer user has recently downloaded a malicious program, FutureGames adware might have automatically downloaded in the background without permission or knowledge of the user. The user might also be tricked into accepting the download under the guise of a program update. Malicious authors often hide the download behind a terms and conditions page, effectively tricking users into downloading adware. In some instances FutureGames may be advertised as an extension to improve the user’s browsing experience in order to encourage a direct download. Regardless of how the system was infected, removal remains relatively unchanged.
|Name||FutureGames, FutureGames virus, PUP.Optional.FutureGames, Adware.FutureGames|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Symptoms||Advertisements in the web browser
Browser redirects to sponsored webpages
Decreased internet speed and performance
Decreased computer functionality and performance
Bundles with malware and other potentially unwanted programs
|Common Path(s)||C:\Program Files (x86)
|Quick Detection & Removal Tool||Click Here To Download Malwarebytes|
FutureGames (Virus Removal Instructions)
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall FutureGames and unwanted programs
- Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this adware is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this adware is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall FutureGames and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this adware is to uninstall FutureGames and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for FutureGames Supporting Application in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled FutureGames, search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove unwanted add-ons and extension
The fourth step to remove this adware is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this adware is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.